Making clay based face masks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toady

Reaction score
After chatting with my beautician yesterday she said that my face needed regular exfoliating and I was thinking about making my own exfoliating mask.

I use to use the 'Fresh' masks from a certain company but always thought that they were too scratchy (not to mention expensive for what they were) and having read dozens of food based masks I know that they are out of the question due to location and lack of transportation (college). So I've ordered myself some rhassoul mud, 'spa minerals' which are suppose to be good for the breakouts and jojoba beads for gentle exfoliating but I'm unsure of what kind of percentages I should be using to mix batches up and what I can store 'leftovers' in.

I know some of you ladies out there make up your own 'dry' mask mixes and I don't want your recipes, just some ideas would be greatly appreciated

I usually make "single serving" masks for my personal use. Just mix your liquid of choice with the clays until it gets to the consistency you want. :)

One note of caution is that rhassoul clay can be very drawing, and I can't use it at full strength on my sensitive skin (I usually mix it with a milder clay). Do a test patch first to make sure that you're not sensitive to it.

Thanks Tabitha and flowerpower, I've used Rhassoul based masks in the past with no problems but I'll do a patch test, I also looked at the Green French Clay but can't have too much drawing 'power', I don't want to draw all the moisture out of my skin

I use the milder clays like pink & white kaolin. I mix anything else I want in my mask in dry form, like powdered yogurt, powdered milk, rose petal powder, powdered herbs, etc. I package the dry mix in small tins. When I'm ready to use them, I just spoon some out into a small bowl, & add water until I get the thickness I want.

Latest posts

Back