Makeshift drying racks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I needed some racks for drying my soaps. I didn't want to wait and I didn't want to spend any money, so I improvised with stuff I had floating around my house. Most crafty types will have everything I used, or reasonable substitutes. I thought i'd share a quick photo tutorial in case someone else might find my solution useful.

You will need:

Freezer paper
Bamboo skewers
Adhesive (I used a glue stick)
Measuring and cutting implements for use on the freezer paper

Cut the freezer paper into strips. My bamboo skewers are ~12 inches long, and my "standard" soap bar is about 3.5" wide, so I cut my paper into 12" x 3" strips.

Apply adhesive to the PAPER side (not the shiny side) of a freezer paper strip.

Place three (or an appropriate number for your particular paper width) equally spaced bamboo skewers on the paper you just spread adhesive on. Apply more adhesive to the paper side of a second freezer paper strip.

Press the adhesive sides of the paper strips together. Use your fingers to seal the paper around and between the skewers.

Ta-daa, a finished soap rack. Or, in the picture below, several finished soap racks.

Use your new soap racks to separate layers of drying soap. The channels between the skewers allow plenty of airflow, and the freezer paper both prevents the soaps from sticking together and acts as a scent barrier so the exposed bottom of one layer doesn't end up smelling like the soaps under it, and vice-versa.

This is awesome since I have 4 huge laundry-style bins that go on top of eachother and I had no way of stacking them...until now!!

Latest posts

Back