made some salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodi

Reaction score
Silicone muffin pans for molds, usual soap recipe with 48 ounces oils and added 24 ounces sea salt at trace.

in molds:
SaltBarSil.JPG

Unmolded next day but, on Day 2 in the cold basement, pools of oils formed on top.

SaltBarOily.JPG

So I took bar upstairs and let it sit for another day in a warmer room. We heat by woodstove, so the air is dry here. The soap dried beautifully, with sparkly salt crystals.

SaltBarDry.JPG

It's too new to try out, so I will let you know in a couple of weeks how it feels to use.

Yes, and they were so easy to un-mold. Just popped out. I was going to color these with pink clay but my assistant this week wanted no extra additives, no scents either.

We made six batches of unscented soap! ( I usually make only one unscented batch every few months). So many scents to try....

Same base oil recipe but with different liquid types: green tea, brewed coffee, honey, all GM with oatmeal, then plain water, and salt bars. Not as boring as I had thought it might be.

new to all this soap making, but loving making cp soap..

i've seen alot of salt soap recipes.. what does the salt do in the soap??

Salt bars like this (made with enough salt = half the weight of the oils) make the bars feel like a slab of marble when wet. I suppose some people like the sea salt feeling to them, feel that it cleanses the skin with the salt, leaving it "more pure". I prefer my regular bars, with lots of lather. Salt bars don't lather. Using them in the shower feels like washing yourself with a smooth stone.
But it is a unique item to sell, so I make about one or two 5-pound batches per year.

Here's the entire batch I made:

SaltSoaps18.JPG

Latest posts

Back