M&P with CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divinegoddessoaps17

Reaction score
Has anyone done a M&P with cold processed soap? I was thinking about doing a M&P in the bottom of a mold - let it set - and pouring CP over the top of it. Will the M&P melt during saponification? I soap at room temperature. Maybe put it in the refrig to set? I have a bourbon flavored scent and wanted to do something different with it.
Thanks for your input!

I've done M&P embeds in a tube of CP soap that worked, the CP was a low heating mostly lard recipe and the M&P did not melt. Your idea has merit, but yes you stand a risk of the M&P melting so soap as cool as possible with a recipe that doesnt heat a lot, and the fridge isn't a bad idea. Or pour the M&P on top - though it might not stick as well, maybe scoring the top and spraying with alcohol would work?

I've done M&P embeds in a tube of CP soap that worked, the CP was a low heating mostly lard recipe and the M&P did not melt. Your idea has merit, but yes you stand a risk of the M&P melting so soap as cool as possible with a recipe that doesnt heat a lot, and the fridge isn't a bad idea. Or pour the M&P on top - though it might not stick as well, maybe scoring the top and spraying with alcohol would work?

I have the Bourbon scented oil from BB. I wanted to do "Bourbon on Ice". Thanks for the tips.

Maybe consider swirling it in instead of having distinct layers. Clear MP drop swirls can look great in cp.

Take a look at mzimm's winning entry from our June 2016 SMF soap challenge here. She did a layer of clear MP over her mosaic soap and it is absolutely gorgeous.
That link takes me to a link with an attachment. When I click on the attachment, it says the webpage is no longer available.

That link takes me to a link with an attachment. When I click on the attachment, it says the webpage is no longer available.

The link has a photo and 2 attachments that are no longer available.. Are you not able to see the photo of her soap that I can see?

I will link it here:

attachment.php

Has anyone done a M&P with cold processed soap? I was thinking about doing a M&P in the bottom of a mold - let it set - and pouring CP over the top of it. Will the M&P melt during saponification? I soap at room temperature. Maybe put it in the refrig to set? I have a bourbon flavored scent and wanted to do something different with it.
Thanks for your input!

I actually have done it, and it worked quite well. I soaped HP and let it cool to around 130, and then melted my base and let it cool to 130. I had no issues of separating,

I would spray the CP before pouring the MP with alcohol, and then again after the MP, to add more CP.

344963_27Mar17_buttermloatshoney0317_2_.jpg

I have made a CP layer, then a 2" M&P layer, topped with another CP layer, forced gel with insulation, and didn't have a problem. I didn't have to spray because I made sure the CP gelled which helped it adhere to the M&P. I have a pic somewhere, but must be on my external drive at home. When I find it, I'll post it. It turned out really nice.

Here are two photos of a CP with MP embeds that I made at least a year ago. It was really hard to cut the soap, the MP embeds were super hard to get my wire cutter through. I hindsight I should have used a blade cutter or a knife. I likely will not make this again anyway :)

Were the soaps gelled?
I use M&P embeds in and on almost every soap I make, use a wire cutter, and it slices through it just like butter. I also gel all my soaps though, so that may be the difference. IDK.

The MP embeds were really hard to cut through with my wire cutter. I gel all my soaps as well. I may have waited too long to cut it, it was so long ago I can't remember :) I've seen so many cool soaps with drop swirls of MP in with CP and I'd love to try making them, but I'm so afraid they will separate that I haven't done it.

The wire cutter is not design for MP. You could damage your cutter!

When I use MP with CP, I always have to slice it with a knife.

I found that out, it was my first MP experience and I should have done some research on it before I used my wire cutter. Thankfully it's fine (hand made by DH)

I do agree they are not designed for full M&P bars, but M&P used as embeds, or toppers, the wires should slice through them just fine.

As I said, I use M&P in almost every batch I make, use my wire cutter to cut them, and have never had a stretched or broken wire because of it.

In fact the only time I've ever had a broken wire was when I tried to cut a frozen full M&P loaf.
Haven't had to replace a wire since, and that was 14 years ago.

I found that out, it was my first MP experience and I should have done some research on it before I used my wire cutter. Thankfully it's fine (hand made by DH)

You are very lucky jcandleattic! Never thought they would last that long!

mommycarlson would you share pictures? My husband promised to make me one, but I have thrown at him so many different pictures, he tells me I need to decide :think: I am looking for one that would not occupy a whole lot of space and is easy to make.

Don't know if luck is really part of it, it's just a very well made cutter.

When the M&P is mixed with CP it softens the M&P and I just cut the loaves at the same time I would my 100% CP and the feel, slicing and everything is exactly the same.
Completely different than trying to cut 100% M&P bar. - that I would not recommend, you will pop a wire trying to do that.

I make and cut about 3-5 loaves a week, have for many years, all with M&P in or on them, and as I said, never a problem, never a stretched or popped wire.

mommycarlson would you share pictures? My husband promised to make me one, but I have thrown at him so many different pictures, he tells me I need to decide :think: I am looking for one that would not occupy a whole lot of space and is easy to make.

Attached are pictures of my DIY wire cutter. It cost about 60.00 to make. We watched a tutorial online about how to make it for 20.00 but DH wanted to make it stronger and we ordered these special bolts for one side, it's easy to tighten the wires although I rarely have to. It's not warped like it looks in the pictures, and please excuse the soap on the relief board :)

cutter2.jpg

IMG_20171005_093145902.jpg

relief board.jpg

Back