M&P Soap Making Newbie (UK) says Hi! (and needs advice p

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapykaz

Reaction score
:D

A big Hi to all the soap makers out there (so clever!), I'm new to this forum and to soap making. I've purchased a couple of lovely books, read a lot of (some quite poor) websites, thank Heavens I've found this one.

I've made up a few small sample batches using Melt and Pour glycerin soap base (pre-made), adding a small amount of additives such as Coconut Oil (because I like it) to soften the skin, Olive Oil (again I like it), Castor Oil (to produce a harder longer-lasting bar) and a tiny amount of grated beeswax. I've had ok-ish fragrance results using essential oils (tea tree is horrible!), but when using a pre-made Fragrance Oil (chocolate and vanilla ones in particular) the soap smelt absolutely disgusting. :(

I would also really, really like a Melt and Pour recipe for a citrus essential oil scented nourishing (for damaged hair) solid shampoo bar.

Am I almost on the right track, or barking up the wrong soapnut tree completely?

Please bear in mind that I am in Cornwall, South-West England, and I will need to source any additional ingredients from the UK.

I would really appreciate advice regarding my choice of additives, and especially the correct way to use Fragrance Oils, as I am hoping to get together enough nice stuff to use as Christmas Presents this year, but at the rate I've been going it will be Christmas 2009.

Many many thanks in advance and thanks for reading.

Best wishes to all. Happy Soap-Making!

:D

I wish I knew where to send you for supplies, sorry. :(

But welcome!

I absolutely LOVE Cornwall, DH is taking me to Porthkerris next Summer!

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Sorry, but I don't have an answer for you either.

M&P soap base is ready to go. I find it always turns out much better if you do not add other things to it other than fragrance, color & maybe an exfoliant.

Fragrance oil should be added (IMHO) between 1 teaspoon & 1 tablespoon. Are you using professional fragrance oil made especially for soap, bath & body items?

You either bought a bad stinky base or a bad stinky fragrance. What brands of both did you use? The hobby shop stuff is not good quality. You need to order from a soap supply source. I am sorry I don't know of one.

I should add, we have lots of UK members so someone should be along shorty with some supply source help.

Thanks. Enjoy your visit to Porthkerris next year. Best wishes,

Deda said:
I wish I knew where to send you for supplies, sorry. :(

But welcome!

I absolutely LOVE Cornwall, DH is taking me to Porthkerris next Summer!

Thanks for all your advice. Should I be adding between 1 tsp and 1 tblsp of Fragrance Oil to 1kg of M&P glycerin base? Or is it some other weight? Yes the Chocolate fragrance oil I used was specifically for soap making, from a very good website in UK. I will try again, but I might stay with only using Pure Essential Oils. Thanks again, best wishes, Soapykaz

Tabitha said:
M&P soap base is ready to go. I find it always turns out much better if you do not add other things to it other than fragrance, color & maybe an exfoliant.

Fragrance oil should be added (IMHO) between 1 teaspoon & 1 tablespoon. Are you using professional fragrance oil made especially for soap, bath & body items?

You either bought a bad stinky base or a bad stinky fragrance. What brands of both did you use? The hobby shop stuff is not good quality. You need to order from a soap supply source. I am sorry I don't know of one.

I'm a total newbie at this so I haven't got any useful advice - but I'll be watching this thread with great interest! x

I use between 1 tsp & 1 tbsp per pound. It takes 2 kg to equal a pound so I would not use more than 1 & 1/2 teaspoons per 1 kg. Too much & you could burn or irritate skin. Also, once the soap is saturated w/ scent, any additional scent is not going to make it any stronger.

In my experience 4 tablespooons of scent in 1 pound of soap will not be any stronger than 1 tablspoon of scent in a pound. IMHO 1 tablespoon per pound or 1 & 1/2 teaspoons per kg is the saturatuion point. If you add too much you run the risk of the scent not blending & floating on top like an oil slick too.

I use between 1 tsp & 1 tbsp per pound. It takes 2 kg to equal a pound so I would not use more than 1 & 1/2 teaspoons per 1 kg.

That's right Tabitha. I use up to 2 tsp per kilo MP base. I only use premium base and top quality f/oils (Brambleberry oils usually) :)

Welcome to a new soaper! I add lots and lots of stuff to my MP bases....sometimes the soap can end up a little TOO soft, but it is still lovely and lucious to use!

I have been collecting information on MP soap making and will pm you with some of my saved docs (microsoft word format) if you would like me to. Just say so!

Tanya :)

Latest posts

Back