M&P "sludge"=liquid soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGM

Reaction score
When using (pre-made) M&P soap (which I'm doing more and more of as I like the consistency of the colours and fragrances sticking), I clean up by putting the Pyrex measuring cups that I've melted the soap in into the sink with water in them. After a few hours, even if there was just a thin skim of cooled soap on the cup after scraping it well, there is a thick gelatinous lump of soap, which I scoop out and throw into the garbage and dump the water. (For those of you who make kombucha, I think of this as my M&P scoby :p).
However, it's struck me that maybe what I've got the beginnings of is liquid soap....it seems a shame to dump it all out if it could be used (yeah, like I have a dearth of washing products around here...). What do you think? Could I just throw it in a soap pump with enough water to get the right consistency? Would it need a preservative if it's for home use and I go through it quickly?
Thoughts?

once that so called sludge dries up, it's hard soap again, and you would not be able to pump it out of the container without re-hydrating it.
I mean I guess if you want to try it, but to me it just seems like a HUGE effort for the little amount of actual soap you'd be able to use.

I get the same thing when I leave my stick blender in a jug of water. Definitely not the same as liquid soap paste. NaOH doesn't make good LS. However, actual KOH LS is really easy to make if you follow the instructions IrishLass details in this thread. I used it and it worked out spectacularly!!

Latest posts

Back