Can't get m & p liquid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMac

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to melt and pour soap. I have been able to get the soap into the molds but it doesn't become liquid. I add a small amount of water and oil but it stays at a fairly thick consistency. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have to spoon it out into the molds. It works ok and the soap becomes solid but definitely not liquid to pour. Any suggestions. Only thing I can think is to keep adding water but not sure if that's right. Thanks

What M&P base are you using? I don't recommend adding water to the base. A tablespoon of oil or butters is the most I would add to the base.

Hi, if by base you meant type of soap, it's Ivory aloe. I can add more oil but not sure how much it would take to become liquid. Can it be too oily. Very new to this. If all else fails, I will keep doing it this way. It's doable but a little more messy. I have Dove soaps, I'll have to see if it's different with that. Thanks

I did not know that. When I did the research they never mentioned that. Only to melt with some oil and water if needed. I will look into it. Thanks :D

What M&P base are you using?
I think what we need to know is what BRAND are you using?

@cmzaha recommended a good one. Check out all the varieties. I prefer "No Sweat" clear and opaque for obvious reasons. It gets hot in CO. I would not recommend using Michael's or Hobby Lobby's. They are good for children to have fun coloring and scenting dusable soaps but don't make very nice soap, generally speaking.

All vendors ship Directions for Using along with the product or online on their website. M & P soap is just that -- Melt and Pour. If you aren't able to pour, double check the directions that came with the base to see what temp it needs to be heated to before you pour it. Pretty simple, really.

So, I'm wondering what the problem really is??? 🤔

I did not know that. When I did the research they never mentioned that. Only to melt with some oil and water if needed. I will look into it. Thanks :D
Just to be clear, and for my "need to know", are you saying you tried melting off-the-shelf soap from the store???

If so, I've actually done that -- waaaay back in the early days when I was making transparent soap. I grated the soap, added a "polyol" mix of alcohol, glycerin and simple sugar syrup. The results were educational, but I wouldn't recommend it.

There are several brands of Melt n Pour soap. Catalina, SFIC, Stephenson, WSP.
The trend of taking store bought soap and "melting" it down is not true Melt n Pour.

Latest posts

Back