Lysol in soap!?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

true blue

Reaction score
Somebody told me that some 'old fashioned lye soap' at a local store contained 'lysol' ... thought that was weird, so I checked it out to see what was really in it. To my surprise, sure enough, the label lists 'lysol' as an ingredient. It also contains ammonia, which I thought was strange, so I searched online for them both when I got home.

Read about adding ammonia here ... ok ... makes sense ... but lysol? A google search only brought up a soap making project for a school which casually mentioned you can add a teaspoon of 'lysol' to the soap if you want. Nothing more.

So, have you heard of this? How? Why? I'm assuming this means the lysol spray. Just to clarify - the label on this soap simply refers to it being 'Grandma's Lye Soap' with no directions for how or what it's to be used for. The person who told me about it used it for poison ivy on his tween aged son.

On Google Books, I found this exerpt from a book/journal entitled 'American Soap Journal and Manufacturing Chemist:

https://books.google.com/books?id=dV5YAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA249&lpg=RA1-PA249&dq=adding+Lysol+to+handmade+CP+soap&source=bl&ots=x8iUQ4GgrD&sig=JT6POftcd_ZJxo4qKGyco_wIGdI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiK2MXP-ZfbAhUI7qwKHYAWBjcQ6AEwDHoECAEQYw#v=onepage&q=adding Lysol to handmade CP soap&f=false

The reference to adding Lysol to soap (as an antiseptic) is on the bottom right of page 249.

Edited to add that it also gets a mention in the "American Journal of Electrotherapeutics and Radiology" as a 'medicated soap' (dated 1921). See 4th paragraph on right side of page 96:

https://books.google.com/books?id=f...ge&q=adding Lysol to handmade CP soap&f=false

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a long time reader but don't post much. This post was interesting to me because it reminded me of pine essential oil. I bought it because I was thinking of Christmassy pine scent and what I got was an essential oil that smells like lysol. I then read up on it and found it's what several cleaners are made of. I added it to my coconut oil liquid soap for cleaning bathrooms, and it's very powerful. It always reminded me of coming home from school as a little girl and you could always tell Mom had been cleaning. (I'm in my 60s, so we are going way back) She used Hexol to clean the bathrooms and the pine EO smelled exactly the same. (Hexol came in a small glass bottle, very concentrated, with a nurse on the front of the box it came in). I think I'm going to make some more tomorrow. It takes just a tiny bit of Pine EO to do the job.

Mary

Back