Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhonda

Reaction score
Where do you all purchase lye? I know that we cannot buy it in any store around here because of the meth heads. I already disliked them but now that I want to make soap I really don't like that group of folks.

I was buying Roebic from Lowes, however they are not carrying it anymore because the price went up like $3. I live in CT where their plant is so I can pick it up at their warehouse. I contacted the company and they said I can buy it from them. Here is what she said:

Unfortunately, Lowes has decided to drop this product due to a recent price
increase.

You may purchase this item directly from us as follows:

Price for one bottle would be $10.80
Price for one 12-pack case would be $129.80

In addition UPS charges would be added. If you are interested please let us
know what quantity you want. We will then calculate the amount you need to
send us in a check.

Marianne Stillie
Customer Service
Phone: 203-795-1283
Fax: 203-795-5227
Email: [email protected]

I thought food grade lye was strange, but an acquaintance of mine told me that some people who make prezels add lye to the boil water to give the pretzels their chewy crust before the bake. They are warned to protect the counter tops after removing the prezels from the boil water, but that after they bake they are fine.

There are several other uses for lye with food as well. If you search sodium hydroxide on Wiki, they have a list.

I guess you learn something new every day :)

Rhonda, you should check with Ace hardware, if you have one in your area, you can buy it online from them, they also have an Ace outlet where there is a discounted price. I had trouble finding it locally, not all Ace's carry it, but they can order it. But I did find some yesterday at an Ace just a few miles from us and was told that they usually keep it in stock. 4.99 for 16oz. Brand name Rooto crystals of household 100% drain opener. HTH
Jan

You guys know I sell lye at my store. I am less expensive than AAA or most any other online retail. I only buy USA made lye. I sell 4- 2 pound containers at a time, or 8 pounds. Check out my lye here;

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=16537726

DSCF3977.jpg

Paul

I buy the food-grade lye.

Chris

Also, I buy in quantities of 32 pounds at a time and when it is on sale. I just got some in last week because it was on sale. Now I have a little over 72 pounds of lye. This should last me awhile... or at least until the next sale. :D

stacy_bareskin said:
Food grade lye? Am I the only person who finds that rather strange?

I used to, until reading that it's used in many things like pretzel making, hominy, etc.. It's even used in toothpaste! My local Asian market sells a bottled liquid lye solution on their shelves for cooking with. Who new!? :lol:

IrishLass

I am new to soapmaking, and only bought once so far, from www.saltcitysoapworks.com. I am actually about to buy more, their price is $4.75 for a 2lb. jar. Buy five get one free (the sale says July only, I sent them an email asking if it was an error - they replied that they are keeping the sale up indefinately. So 6 2lb jars were $23.75, with $14.13 UPS shipping to me in Florida - making the total $3.16 per pound to get it to my front door.

I am still looking around before I purchase - but I am down to only a pound left so I will be ordering in the next day or two.

Soapmaker Man said:
You guys know I sell lye at my store. I am less expensive than AAA or most any other online retail. I only buy USA made lye. I sell 4- 2 pound containers at a time, or 8 pounds. Paul
Yep.................I get mine from this ole goat here.
smiley1277.gif

Digit

Me too ... love it .. works great .. and doesn't have the propensity to clump like Roebic

Latest posts

Back