Lye/water and Oil Solutions - Temperature

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshir

Reaction score
I am new to soap making and heard you do not need to have your lye/water and oil solutions to be within 10 degrees of each other. I usually wait for them to be within 10 degrees of each other and soap at room temperature. Too afraid to try it it any other way. Please advice.

You heard correct- they don't have to be within 10 degrees of each other. If that were the care, none of my batches would have come out right, be it hot process or cold process. Now when it comes to certain additives like milk, then you may want to watch the temperature if you're aiming for as white a bar as possible. Those types of soaps, you just melt your oils as needed, blend in your milk, and soap as cool as possible (you already use room temperature lye but you should build confidence before trying a milk soap, if you're not opposed).

You heard correct- they don't have to be within 10 degrees of each other. If that were the care, none of my batches would have come out right, be it hot process or cold process. Now when it comes to certain additives like milk, then you may want to watch the temperature if you're aiming for as white a bar as possible. Those types of soaps, you just melt your oils as needed, blend in your milk, and soap as cool as possible (you already use room temperature lye but you should build confidence before trying a milk soap, if you're not opposed).
Great! Thanks

Latest posts

Back