Lye too hot

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kansas Farm Girl

Reaction score
Help please. I made a batch of CP a few weeks ago. Normally I use a room temp method, mix all my oils together, make my lye water and pour it into the oil pot and let it melt my hard oils while mixing with a stick blender. But this day I planned to let the lye cool to about 95F or so, and melt all the oils and cool to about that too. But long story short, plans changed at the last minute and while not thinking I mixed the oils and lye together while they were both much warmer than this, but I don't know how warm they were. I put it into a loaf mold. It did not harden enough to unmold for several days. I cut it but the bars want to crumble. It is very soft and crumbles or breaks easily. Is there a way to save this batch? Cold I break it up and put it in a crock pot to melt it to re-pour? Or just toss and start over? Thanks for any help you can give me.

I would think you can HP it. I believe you can rebatch as long as it is not lye heavy. I could be wrong but I read you can't fix if you have lye pockets or if it zaps.

Before I'd ditch a batch I would at least try to rebatch it, maybe adding some oils will cause it to not be crumbly.

But I gotta say I've never heard of anyone making soap using the room temp method you described...does that really work? I thought it was necessary to melt and fully incorporate all the oils before adding the lye.

Anyway maybe someone else can be more help to you. I just know I'd never toss a batch without trying to save it somehow first.

Thanks, I'll try reclaiming it in a crock pot, I have nothing to lose.

I have been using the room temp method for about 2 years. I put all my oils together, then mix the lye and water. When the lye is fully dissolved I put it in with the oils and start stick blending it to melt the hard oils. I learned this method from the owner of a soap shop in Colorado. This is the first time I have had problems and that was because I wasn't thinking and slipped back into "normal mode".

Latest posts

Back