Lye question...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohofarms

Reaction score
I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. It doesn't matter what temperature the lye solution is at as long as it is the same or less than your oils, correct? I was reading about people that make lye solutions in advance and store them at room temperature. Do they comine the lye with the oils with the lye still at room temperature or do they heat it up somehow before combining them? Thanks for your help!

It doesn't matter what temp your lye solution is. Technically. Saponification still happens.

But you need to know what to expect:
Hot lye = faster trace (usually)
Cold lye (colder than the oils) can cloud up and thicken your oils making them LOOK like you've reached trace when you haven't yet

I recommend having both warm lye and warm oils (don't need accurate temps, just warm when you put your palm to the outside of the container they are in) until you know what's up!

Good luck.

cohofarms said:
I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. It doesn't matter what temperature the lye solution is at as long as it is the same or less than your oils, correct? I was reading about people that make lye solutions in advance and store them at room temperature. Do they comine the lye with the oils with the lye still at room temperature or do they heat it up somehow before combining them? Thanks for your help!

Complex question...it does matter what temperature you use for your oils/lye mixture. That can have a bearing on how fast you reach trace; it can have a huge affect on the FO's you are trying to use; it can even affect coloring. I've had batches containing milk products really discolor at higher temps but come out a nice, creamy ivory at cooler temps. Some FO's handle better in higher temps; some at lower temps. It's all a matter of trial and error and personal preferences until you find what works for you. Many books on the subject advise to have the lye solution and the oils within 10 degrees of each other.

I can only speak for myself, but when I premix my lye solution I use it at room temp (attempting to warm it is a very scary thought to me). I melt my hard oils & butters and add my soft oils which usually cools off the oil mixture somewhat. If the oils are still a little too warm, I let it sit for a little while to cool down and then I add the premixed lye.

All of the above, plus in regard to a premixed solution...I do use a premixed solution, but I mix a 50% lye/water solution. This means, other than castile, I'm adding additional water to the solution according to the water required in the recipe.

When additional water is added, it heats the solution up to about 120 degrees. I usually soap around 100 to 110 F, but like everyone else said, you have to adjust temps sometimes.

When I first started the internet had informed me that I could combin my lye and oils at any temp as long as they were within a couple of deg of each other. So I was soaping at maximum lye temp, my soap was an ooozing sweaty mess. Since joining this forum I learnt otherwise.

When you're starting out, it doesn't hurt to know what temp. you're soaping at and to write it down on your recipe. I mostly use the "hands on the outside of the container" to measure my temp now and I know that this is roughly 40C. :wink:

Thanks! That is about what I expected, just nice to have some reassurance that I'm not totally screwing it up.

Now how do I know if my fragrance oils will do better at a high or a low temp? Oh so much to learn :)

My lye is always pre-mixed and at room temp.
My oils are warmed just enough to melt the solid oils. Sometimes I let them cool a bit after that.

I do keep an infrared thermometer handy to watch the temps but it is mostly just out of curiosity. Occasionally a batch will start to feel REALLY hot (even after starting at room temp) and if my thermometer agrees I may put the pot in a cold water bath to cool it down a bit.

Latest posts

Back