Lye on my face (Precautions)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkownz

Reaction score
I have been making soap recently, and while I was mixing the lye in with the base I got a bit splashed on my face (Around the Cheek Area) it went red so I rinsed it in water but that had no affect, then I tried dabbing it in Red Wine Vinegar. It seemed to sting a bit but now it is still a bit red. If you get lye on your face what do you use to wash it off?
This happened last week but I thought it wouldnt really matter because it is still there.
Cheers, Lee :)

Your skin has been burned, it will take as long as if you had ben burnt by heat I would imagine. Hope you are feeling better soon.

If you've got it, I would apply a little aloe get to the spot. Chemical burns (lye) can be bad even with just a little direct exposure.

I have read somewhere that you should keep a bottle of weak Acetic acid on hand in case of splashes but there are different schools of thought on that one. I have worked in chemical plants and all they had were showers and eye washes in with the acids or alkalines. :D

Rather than goggles, I wear an acrylic face shield; you can get them at the hardware store. I like it because I can flip up the shield, if necessary; and also, if I'm wearing my glasses, it doesn't interfere with them.

Very scary, hope you are better soon!

Melodee

I had a tiny drop splash up on my chin a while back and the burn turned the size of a quarter. It took about 3 weeks to heal.

That is why you need to flush the area with copious amounts of water , if you don't get all the lye , it eats away at your skin .

Kitn

Melodee said:
Rather than goggles, I wear an acrylic face shield; you can get them at the hardware store. I like it because I can flip up the shield, if necessary; and also, if I'm wearing my glasses, it doesn't interfere with them.

Very scary, hope you are better soon!

Melodee

The face shield is a great idea. Protects your face and more importantly your eyes. There was another thread about what people wear while working with lye. Many of us (self included) are a bit casual with it, probably because we have become over confident. Not good...

OUCH!!!!

Ditto on the Aloe -

I got burned with hot boiling oil once, a big ol' spalsh of it, we ground up some aloe leaves and calendula and applied that daily - maybe that will help.

In addition to aloe gel, lavender EO is good for burns (not to remove the lye though). It is said to speed up the healing and help to prevent scarring (on bad burns). Melodee, the acrylic face shield is an excellent idea...thank you.

Always keep a quantity of vinegar around... I buy white vinegar in a giant 1.5 gallon bottle since I also use it in my laundry.

For a small splash (a few drops) apply it immediately and liberally to any area that is hit. It will help neutralize the lye so that it will stop burning. Then rinse with lots of cold water. Larger spills of lye solution on to skin can be rinsed quickly with water first to remove as much as possible but you should still follow up with vinegar and then more water.

Raw Lye crystals should be brushed off skin before introducing water or vinegar. Don't rinse lye crystals off with water since water is what causes the exothermic reaction that burns you.

If lye splashes on clothing, remove the clothing immediately... don't worry what they neighbors will say.

The whole point is to minimize the time that the lye has to actually burn your skin... by removing it and neutralizing it. Once that's done then you can treat it as you would any other burn.

Of course knowing this is no substitute for goggles and gloves etc...

ETA - I had no idea there was another topic going on this very topic... and though that one may SLIGHTLY contradict what I just said... I don't think it's enough worth arguing about.

The MSDS for sodium hydroxide says to flush with water should you get lye on your skin or in your eyes. I think the time is about 15 minutes. If you get any in your eyes flush with water and then go to the E.R.

Do not use vinegar.

Back