Lye mix liquid replacement?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats beautiful. thank you šŸ„°

Ok so lets say that I discount the water in the lye. at what moment do I add the juice to complete the missing water? at trace?

To have some juice and ā€œwater discountā€ (= high lye concentration), you'd have to dissolve the NaOH directly into the juice.
Except for nasty fragrances, I'm not aware of any addition that is advantageous to be done at trace.

I make my lye solution by substituting carrot juice for the water in one my most popular soaps. It comes out an incredible yolky yellow even though it starts orange, stays orange in the batter, you would swear that this is going to be an orange soap, but then it settles into this perfect, bright yellow. The first time I did it I mixed the lye with water and only a little juice but the color was just a sad pastel yellow. Now it's a crowd fav, can never make enough of it. I am eager to try other juices now. I am sure that someone here has probably experimented with them all!

Attachments

• PXL_20210913_131228213.jpg
    PXL_20210913_131228213.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 18
That's one exclamation mark of an orange-yellow soap! No wonder it's popular.
Does it stain? Unfortunately soaps with other carotenoids (coloured with red palm oil or annatto) do.

(OT: Cheese made from milk with some carrot juice added, becomes pink)

That's one exclamation mark of an orange-yellow soap! No wonder it's popular.
Does it stain? Unfortunately soaps with other carotenoids (coloured with red palm oil or annatto) do.

(OT: Cheese made from milk with some carrot juice added, becomes pink)

Thanks! I haven't had any trouble with staining but good to know it happens with the other ones. Great tip!

I make my lye solution by substituting carrot juice for the water in one my most popular soaps. It comes out an incredible yolky yellow even though it starts orange, stays orange in the batter, you would swear that this is going to be an orange soap, but then it settles into this perfect, bright yellow. The first time I did it I mixed the lye with water and only a little juice but the color was just a sad pastel yellow. Now it's a crowd fav, can never make enough of it. I am eager to try other juices now. I am sure that someone here has probably experimented with them all!
Does the carrot juice have a fragrance to it?

I made a carrot soap on my first attempt at making soap, its the orange one in the picture. I used purĆŖ instead of juice.

Attachments

• 20211205_235711.jpg
    20211205_235711.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 14
That is a beautiful soap!

Latest posts

Back