LouAnna coconut oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

three_little_fishes

Reaction score
I know there are others who use this. I was noticing that my shampoo bar has DOS and that is the only thing that I can think that caused it. But, my other bars that I have used it in seem to be fine. Even the salt bar which is 80% coconut is still good.

Or could it be because it's just so darn humid here? Even if I keep it "cool" in the house around 75 degrees F, my oil is almost always liquid aside from a few crumbly looking floaters.

Should I store it in the refrigerator? Buy a new brand? I've been thinking about buying in bulk so maybe this is the kick I need.

From what I understand DOS can hit just about anything, under the right conditions. I use the LouAnna CO, and I don't have any problems with DOS yet. I think it's probably your humidity. I don't know about keeping it if frig, as I've never done that. I've read to store it in a cool, dry dark location and allow air circulation so it can breathe. I'm trying to find the optimum location myself right now, so I'll keep an eye on this thread for suggestions.

I don't use LouAna so I can't comment on that, but do not store your soap in a fridge. They are sealed - you would just be trapping the humidity in with your soaps and just begging for DOS.

I imagine your humid environment could be promoting the DOS. A little while back I was shocked to find one of my shampoo bars (a very stable recipe too) had DOS on it. I eventually concluded it was because those soaps were cured in a bad location, just below a poorly sealed window sill. I had placed some bath bombs on the same spot before and later discovered that they had all fizzed out because of the humid air coming in. Sadly I totally forgot about that incident when I placed my soap there to cure. That said, I have no idea what to do in your case, if the humid environment is causing DOS. I know there are other soapers in Florida that managed just fine. :\

Storing your oils in the fridge is a good idea, provided you have the space. I store a lot of my smaller bottles in my fridge but not my coconut oil, since it's so stable and long lasting.

Do you happen to have a dehumidifier? If you are selling your soaps, it might be worth the investment.

I'm not selling. Thinking about maybe next year doing so, but I have a LOT to learn. I cure on a shelf in my bedroom with the ceiling fan going at all times. It's really only my shampoo bar so far (I have others with DOS, but I know why those have them...bad storage). Hmmmm...must get to the bottom of it because my husband loves that bar! I told him to hurry up and use it all up. :p

I've never had DOS with the LouAna coconut oil and that is the coconut oil I started out using. I still have some soaps I made using it that are months old ( maybe 6-8 months old). What are some of the other oils in your recipe? The LouAna oil you used, what was the expiration date? Not sure what happened in your case, :-( Hope you figure out the mystery!

I've never had DOS with the LouAna coconut oil and that is the coconut oil I started out using. I still have some soaps I made using it that are months old ( maybe 6-8 months old). What are some of the other oils in your recipe? The LouAna oil you used, what was the expiration date? Not sure what happened in your case, :-( Hope you figure out the mystery!

Avocado, shea butter, and a little bit of castor. I think my LouAna may be bad. I just opened up a new tub that I bought recently and they just look....different. The first one just doesn't look as smooth and it seems kind of gritty compared to the other. :eh:

Back