Looking to Modify GMS Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGecko

Reaction score
I have a good GMS recipe made with Olive Oil (40.91%), Palm Oil (21.21%), Coconut Oil (21.21%), Castor Oil (4.55%) and Shea Butter (12.12%). I know the percentages are odd, but I rounded off the Ounces. 5% SF, 30% Lye Concentration. I use Organic Evaporated Goat Milk and per the can I was using [almost] equal amounts milk and water.

Recipe is perfect...freeze the milk and water, mix with lye in an ice batch around 70F, mix with oils around 80F, put in the frig overnight, let it get to room temp and unmold, cut the next day and I have a beautiful, creamy bar of GMS.

BUT...the weather has cooled considerably and it's taking 4 to 5 days before I can unmold and around the same to cut. For my regular soaps, a 35% Lye Concentration and a heating pad had taken care of the temp issues, but if I increase my Lye Concentration for my GMS, I decrease my 'water' which would decrease my Goat Milk.

So I'm wondering if I can do 2 to 1 on my Evap GM without messing with the quality of my soap? Percentage wise with round numbers, I would be going from 56% to 70% Evap GM.

Or maybe there is something else I can do?

Thank you in advance

I use only goat milk as i have goats, but i use anywhere between 33-45% lye concentration and have no issues.

You could use sodium lactate to unmould faster, or salt.

You can also freeze it to unmould faster, I do this when I want to make multiple batches in the same moulds. I usually unmould after 24hrs at room temp and cut after another 12 or 24hrs. But if I want the mould, I leave at room temp overnight, put in the freezer for 3-4hrs then I can unmould and leave it sit for a day or two before cutting

I use only goat milk as i have goats, but i use anywhere between 33-45% lye concentration and have no issues.

You could use sodium lactate to unmould faster, or salt.

You can also freeze it to unmould faster, I do this when I want to make multiple batches in the same moulds. I usually unmould after 24hrs at room temp and cut after another 12 or 24hrs. But if I want the mould, I leave at room temp overnight, put in the freezer for 3-4hrs then I can unmould and leave it sit for a day or two before cutting

Thank you.

I would love to use fresh goat milk, but not a lot of folks around who keep goats and so it’s Evap Goat Milk or Pwd Goat Milk.

I didn’t think about freezing; will have to shift a few things around, but I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back