Loofah soap woes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdc1978

Reaction score
1. I soaped at a relatively high temperature, but these soaps are so soft after a week that i feel that maybe they didn't gel???

2. Does anyone have a good trick for cutting them so its not a disaster? Is cutting it a mess because it didn't go through gel phase and is soft?

Maybe I need to leave it in the mold longer, i just don't know. What a mess!

Attachments

• 20201230_141102.jpg
    20201230_141102.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201230_141056.jpg
    20201230_141056.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 13
Did you grow your loofah or buy it? I was wondering if you grew it yourself maybe it wasn't dried all the way and added moisture to the soap?

I've read others who said it is best to cut the loofah into slices first, and place the loofah slices in the loaf so you can cut the soap bars in between them. Otherwise, you have to saw away at it while it is covered in soap.

Did you grow your loofah or buy it? I was wondering if you grew it yourself maybe it wasn't dried all the way and added moisture to the soap?

I purchased this one off Amazon (my mom grows them for me now too).

But you might be right. These loofah come flat and I submerged it in water to expand it. I squeezed and blotted out excess water and popped it in a warm oven for a few minutes. It felt dry but maybe I should have just let it rest overnight.

I've read others who said it is best to cut the loofah into slices first, and place the loofah slices in the loaf so you can cut the soap bars in between them. Otherwise, you have to saw away at it while it is covered in soap.

That....actually makes a lot of sense. You all are so darned smart....because the alternative is that I'm a dummy who didn't think of that.

Can't claim any smarts on this one... just happened to read that tip on a random thread somewhere, and tucked it away in my brain for future use.

But since we are already working with soap-covered loofah, maybe an electric knife would help cut through it? The cuts won't be clean, but you may get it cut sooner (with less cursing).

Can't claim any smarts on this one... just happened to read that tip on a random thread somewhere, and tucked it away in my brain for future use.

But since we are already working with soap-covered loofah, maybe an electric knife would help cut through it? The cuts won't be clean, but you may get it cut sooner (with less cursing).

If I'm soaping I'm probably cursing over something stupid I did anyways. Whats a few more curse words between me and my soap? LOL

Actually I think next time I'll try to cut it when its still flat and dry. That makes so much sense. Thank you.

If I'm soaping I'm probably cursing over something stupid I did anyways. Whats a few more curse words between me and my soap? LOL

Actually I think next time I'll try to cut it when its still flat and dry. That makes so much sense. Thank you.

They'd probably dry more thoroughly that way too! ;)

My kids tell me I'm more creative with my foul language when I'm making soap!

They'd probably dry more thoroughly that way too! ;)

My kids tell me I'm more creative with my foul language when I'm making soap!

Soaping is a truly creative endeavor in so many ways. It gets your artistic juices flowing in other areas.

Youre right though in that the loofah would dry better too.

Latest posts

Back