Quantcast

Long Lasting Mild Soap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

JeffBez

Reaction score
Hi! I've been making soap for over 3 years and only now just stumbled upon this soap making forum. After looking around all I can say is WOW! In the past I had formulated my recipes based on the what the large popular blogs recommended. Now after reading some of yall's comments, I've started to realize I've been doing it all wrong! I have psoriasis and had been making soap to try and help soothe it but never had much success. I now realize all my soaps may have too much CO in them and that could be the culprit. My soaps also are not as long lasting as I would prefer them to be. I've now completely reworked my formula and would love to hear yall's feedback. My goal is to make a long lasting soap/not hard (Used to make 100% coconut oil soap, NOT long lasting), and one that is very mild. I've heard lots of great things about 100% Olive Oil, but I'd rather not wait around half a year before I could use my soap.

I would be extremely grateful and so would my skin! :)

Thanks!!

NewRecipe.png

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Have you tried using neem seed oil in your soap? It is good for skin conditions. It is smelly and a little goes a long way. Argan oil is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Your proposed recipe looks fine based on the fatty acid profile. I don't know if your skin might be sensitive to the unsaponifiable content of shea .... something to think about.

If you do try lsg's suggestion to use some neem, think of it as being roughly comparable to palm (not palm kernel) or lard. I like it in soap, even though neem has an odd scent that I don't think many people are in love with. But the odor mellows a lot as the soap cures, so I don't find it offensive. Just odd.

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm one that soaps with Avocado oil or Rice Bran oil instead of Olive oil. Some people here find that high-Oleic soaps irritate their skin, and these are both higher in Linoleic FAs than Olive oil.
And I would recommend trying a little of the oils that you use on your skin to see if you react badly to any of them. They could still irritate your skin as soap, of course, but it might be a good idea to see if anything in your superfat is irritating all by itself.

JeffBez

Reaction score
Have you tried using neem seed oil in your soap? It is good for skin conditions. It is smelly and a little goes a long way. Argan oil is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties.

I sure haven't! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to look into that now.

Your proposed recipe looks fine based on the fatty acid profile. I don't know if your skin might be sensitive to the unsaponifiable content of shea .... something to think about.

If you do try lsg's suggestion to use some neem, think of it as being roughly comparable to palm (not palm kernel) or lard. I like it in soap, even though neem has an odd scent that I don't think many people are in love with. But the odor mellows a lot as the soap cures, so I don't find it offensive. Just odd.
I wasn't aware that there could be sensitivities to the shea butter. I though it would actually help. I'll deffinitally have to do more research and some some trial and error batches now.

I'm one that soaps with Avocado oil or Rice Bran oil instead of Olive oil. Some people here find that high-Oleic soaps irritate their skin, and these are both higher in Linoleic FAs than Olive oil.
And I would recommend trying a little of the oils that you use on your skin to see if you react badly to any of them. They could still irritate your skin as soap, of course, but it might be a good idea to see if anything in your superfat is irritating all by itself.
Wow thanks for the insight! I wasn't aware of that the High Oleic could be an irritate as well. Sad, because most recipes you find on blogs seem to have those type of profiles. There should really be more information put out for those with skin sensitivities. It sounds like I have some more testing to do!

DeeAnna

Reaction score
I believe it is high amounts of actual olive oil in soap that some people find is drying to their skin. Other high oleic fats apparently don't seem to be as irritating. I have no idea why this is the case, and it's not a universal thing.

You need to figure out what works best for your skin, and if a soap high in olive oil works for you ... it works.

Hope Ann

Reaction score
I've heard lots of great things about 100% Olive Oil, but I'd rather not wait around half a year before I could use my soap.
Welcome! This forum is a wonderful resource. I would suggest searching the forum for Zaney's No-Slime Castille. It's a post a zillion pages long but the formula is on the first of them. It cures quickly and is lovely. You could make a small 1 lb batch and see what you think.

Hope

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Haha. I was going to suggest Zany's No Slime Castile too but @Hope Ann and @MaryinOK beat me to it. I have dry, sensitive, "mature" skin and I use it to wash my face AM and PM. It is long-lasting and seems to keep it's shape to the very end -- as long as you keep it "high & dry" on a soap-saver type dish between uses.

I like the 85% olive oil, 10% coconut oil and 5% castor oil variation. You can sub PKO (Palm Kernel Oil) for the coconut.

That being said, your formula looks good and I see no reason not to give it a go. An INS Value of 135 suggests that it may take a little longer than normal to cure, but once fully cured I imagine it will be quite nice! :thumbup:

Since you have all the ingredients, I'd make your formula first. Then, while it's curing, make the ZNSC. It will cure faster, although the jury is out on just how fast that is. I start using it at the 2-week mark but I don't recommend that for everyone. As I told a member recently, "proceed with caution". 😁