Local colorant for cold process soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatJuice

Reaction score
hi everyone! I've been reading through the forum and getting ideas after making my first batch of cold process soap.. i really want to add some color but can't find a good recommendation for where i can buy colorant local for cold process. i plan on ordering some soon, but i want to make a small batch today.. any suggestions on a brand or type from Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Walmart, Target??
IMG_8849.JPG

Some people have used cocoa powder with success, and if you can find any clay powders in the cosmetic sections that may give you some color (but also may mess with trace). Turmeric will make a yellow-orange soap and paprika will make an orange-red one, though both will be speckly if used directly in your soap batter instead of infused into oil separately. Activated charcoal will make a soap varying shades of grey so you may be able to find that in a cosmetic section as well.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/scents-and-colorants-from-the-grocery-store.27379/

ETA: I'm not aware of any stores that carry soap colorants like micas that are suitable for CP (just M&P). :/

Some people have used cocoa powder with success, and if you can find any clay powders in the cosmetic sections that may give you some color (but also may mess with trace). Turmeric will make a yellow-orange soap and paprika will make an orange-red one, though both will be speckly if used directly in your soap batter instead of infused into oil separately. Activated charcoal will make a soap varying shades of grey so you may be able to find that in a cosmetic section as well.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/scents-and-colorants-from-the-grocery-store.27379/

ETA: I'm not aware of any stores that carry soap colorants like micas that are suitable for CP (just M&P). :/

thank you.. i may skip the color for this batch until i can make an order

Yes, colorants sold in hobby stores tend to be intolerant to lye and therefore are wasted in CP soap. Until you can do an online order, natural soap color (no added color) is probably a good way to go to see what soap looks like without it. Same for fragrances. It's useful to know what un-scented soap smells like, too.

Where do you live? Some of our members are lucky enough to live near enough some soap supply vendors that they can pick up orders by driving to the location.

For locally available colorants if you are willing to try clays, try a health food store that sells things in bulk. In some of them (not all, of course) you can buy natural clays, such as French green clay, etc. They can be used as a natural colorant.

https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/join-jo-coloring-soap-naturally/

Yes, colorants sold in hobby stores tend to be intolerant to lye and therefore are wasted in CP soap. Until you can do an online order, natural soap color (no added color) is probably a good way to go to see what soap looks like without it. Same for fragrances. It's useful to know what un-scented soap smells like, too.

Where do you live? Some of our members are lucky enough to live near enough some soap supply vendors that they can pick up orders by driving to the location.

For locally available colorants if you are willing to try clays, try a health food store that sells things in bulk. In some of them (not all, of course) you can buy natural clays, such as French green clay, etc. They can be used as a natural colorant.

https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/join-jo-coloring-soap-naturally/

I'm in Birmingham, AL. I think I've decided to just leave the color off this time until i can order some.. I'll look to see if there is a soap supply near. Thanks

I am in Atlanta and use Aztec in Knoxville or Micas and More in Ft Lauderdale, Both ship super fast! We have one supply place in Norcross but I have never been there. They have very strange hours like Tues & wed 1-5 so thats just not doable for me.

really glad i didn't go all out looking for colorant.. this was only my 2nd recipe and it came to "false trace" really quickly.. hopefully i mixed it will enough
IMG_0273.jpg

I'm in Birmingham, AL. I think I've decided to just leave the color off this time until i can order some.. I'll look to see if there is a soap supply near. Thanks

I'm in Birmingham AL too! Check out Community CAndle in Pelham, AL. They carry Crafter's Choice micas, etc. They also have coconut oil, palm oil, lye, and fragrances!

I'm in Birmingham AL too! Check out Community CAndle in Pelham, AL. They carry Crafter's Choice micas, etc. They also have coconut oil, palm oil, lye, and fragrances!

thanks Dixie.. I'll try to make it over there on lunch today.. i know i want to pick up some titanium dioxide, but what other color type is easy to work with in cold process..i was also thinking activated charcoal.. I'd like anything except pastels.. I'll pick up some Palm oil too!

thanks Dixie.. I'll try to make it over there on lunch today.. i know i want to pick up some titanium dioxide, but what other color type is easy to work with in cold process..i was also thinking activated charcoal.. I'd like anything except pastels.. I'll pick up some Palm oil too!

Here's a link to their colors:
https://www.communitycandlesupply.com/products.php?cat=All+Bath+and+Body+Colors

Micas and oxides are easy to work with. I like to blend them with a little glycerin in a Dixie cup and then add to the soap batter. Less stirring and you are less likely to get lumps. You can use water or oil, but I prefer glycerin. BTW, CC also has glycerin! If you like, you can place your order online and they'll have it boxed up when you arrive. They aren't really a retail store - they have a rack of FOs so you can smell everything, but to buy something you have to log into the computer they have, ring up your order, and input your credit card.

Micas and oxides are easy to work with. I like to blend them with a little glycerin in a Dixie cup and then add to the soap batter. Less stirring and you are less likely to get lumps. You can use water or oil, but I prefer glycerin. BTW, CC also has glycerin! If you like, you can place your order online and they'll have it boxed up when you arrive. They aren't really a retail store - they have a rack of FOs so you can smell everything, but to buy something you have to log into the computer they have, ring up your order, and input your credit card.

good to know.. thank you!

just put my order in.. thanks again!

Latest posts

Back