Liquid Soap Stumbling block

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Susie said- it won't be a clear soap, but if having a more opaque soap is not a deal-beaker for you, I say go for it. :) Just remember to use KOH instead of NaOH.

One of the other GLS liquid soap formulas I make contains 20% cocoa butter, 5% shea butter, and also some straight stearic acid (as well as the usual suspects of castor, coconut and olive oil), and it makes an incredibly lovely, opaque, creamy liquid soap that in the end has a superfat of somewhere around 7%. I posted the recipe and process for it here. It's a tiny bit more involved than the 100% clear GLS formula that I make with 65% olive oil, which Susie just linked to above, but it's still very easy to make.

IrishLass :)

Thanks for the info. I don't care if it's clear or "dirty swamp water" as long as it has the same skin-qualities as my bar soap. It took a while for me to figure out what is "perfect" for my skin in a bar of soap. If I can translate that into a liquid soap, that would be great for times when a bar of soap is inconvenient but a foam or standard pump bottle would be appropriate. BTW: Cathy from Soaping101 taught the GLS method yesterday. I ended up buying "Liquid Soapmaking" by Jackie Thompson today. I'm hoping it will help. Bad news is there's no Kindle version.

Thanks for the info. I don't care if it's clear or "dirty swamp water" as long as it has the same skin-qualities as my bar soap. It took a while for me to figure out what is "perfect" for my skin in a bar of soap. If I can translate that into a liquid soap, that would be great for times when a bar of soap is inconvenient but a foam or standard pump bottle would be appropriate. BTW: Cathy from Soaping101 taught the GLS method yesterday. I ended up buying "Liquid Soapmaking" by Jackie Thompson today. I'm hoping it will help. Bad news is there's no Kindle version.

I wouldn't call it bad news... Maybe slightly downer news? You know nothing beats reading words on paper.:twisted::mrgreen::)

I wouldn't call it bad news... Maybe slightly downer news? You know nothing beats reading words on paper.:twisted::mrgreen::)

I actually don't have a Kindle, but I do have the Kindle app on my phone. I carry my phone with me everywhere I go. When I'm stuck in line at a store or something like that, I pull out my phone and either use Colorfy (my new addiction), Bookworm (another addiction) or read a book on the Kindle app. I cannot stand to be idle. I must be doing something at all times. It is inconvenient for me to carry a book with me everywhere I go; therefore, Kindle books are my preferred method of reading these days. That's the major reason I bought an iPhone 6 Plus. I was tired of only getting five or six words per page on my old phone. Getting old sucks. I need the HUGE font to read now. :shock:

I actually don't have a Kindle, but I do have the Kindle app on my phone. I carry my phone with me everywhere I go. When I'm stuck in line at a store or something like that, I pull out my phone and either use Colorfy (my new addiction), Bookworm (another addiction) or read a book on the Kindle app. I cannot stand to be idle. I must be doing something at all times. It is inconvenient for me to carry a book with me everywhere I go; therefore, Kindle books are my preferred method of reading these days. That's the major reason I bought an iPhone 6 Plus. I was tired of only getting five or six words per page on my old phone. Getting old sucks. I need the HUGE font to read now. :shock:

That's exactly why I switched to Kindle for everything. I just can't get regular sized type in any comfortable position to read anymore in spite of expensive progressive lenses.

I would NOT mix the KOH with the glycerin! Mix it with an equal amount of water and put the remainder of the "water" amount as glycerin mixed into the oils. It will save you time, and a whole lot of trouble. It gives the same result.

Ok great thanks for extra tip. I am happy as long as I don't have to stand and stir and cook. I am ready to make it now. I just have to buy KOH and glycerine this week.

Yes I have have books on my phone now. I hate lugging around books. I don't have kindle but I like how it's more similar to reading off paper than mobile phone. But it's hard to get in AU.

Last edited:

Ok great thanks for extra tip. I am happy as long as I don't have to stand and stir and cook. I am ready to make it now. I just have to buy KOH and glycerine this week.

Yes I have have books on my phone now. I hate lugging around books. I don't have kindle but I like how it's more similar to reading off paper than mobile phone. But it's hard to get in AU.

Kindles are worth it, if you can get them. I don't use mine too often because I still like my mom's way better (kindle keyboard was the best one they ever made). They're way easier on my eyes than using the kindle app on my laptop or phone. I don't always keep my sunglasses near me to ease the pain of the screen.

Kindles are worth it, if you can get them. I don't use mine too often because I still like my mom's way better (kindle keyboard was the best one they ever made). They're way easier on my eyes than using the kindle app on my laptop or phone. I don't always keep my sunglasses near me to ease the pain of the screen.

I have the Paperwhite. I like being able to adjust the brightness depending on the situation. I can read in the dark, or I can read in bright sunshine.

soapee looks good but why the heck it gives me just 380 g of water? Soapmaker3 is giving me more probable numbers 220 KOH (90%), and 674 g of water. What do I do wrong, the Koh amount is similar 220 on SM and 221 on soapee...............
Oh Susie I have a sleeping disorder and chronic insomnia from the time I was a child, I always blame the meds they tried on my 60 years ago they had not idea how to treat Asthma based on allergy. I remeber Ephedrine, it makes u shaking and awake but stops the coughing.............eh life
I m not happy with the soap I made, even it is good but is cloudy and makes me furious. Need some brainy people here :)) some suggestion ?
oshhhhhhhhhhhh I made a mistake sorry now I have water 665 and KOH 221.8

Last edited:
CAstro 10%
CO 25%
OO 65
it is giving me 665.3 g water
KOH (90 purity) 221.8 g
SF 3%
I am going to use one part of water to dissolve KOH, add some sugar (2 tbsp before lye) then to warm kOh I am going to add the glycerine 2 parts :)

CAstro 10%
CO 25%
OO 65
it is giving me 665.3 g water
KOH (90 purity) 221.8 g
SF 3%
I am going to use one part of water to dissolve KOH, add some sugar (2 tbsp before lye) then to warm kOh I am going to add the glycerine 2 parts :)

What kind of OO did you use? I find that any kind of "virgin" OO is inconsistent in quality, and can result in cloudy soap. I use the cheap yellow "Daily Chef" oil from Sam's.

I had never seen this brand I will use Kirkland Costco OO ligh color and it suppose to be the best. I used Virgin and maybe it is a reason that it is cloudy. Thank you Susie

I had never seen this brand I will use Kirkland Costco OO ligh color and it suppose to be the best. I used Virgin and maybe it is a reason that it is cloudy. Thank you Susie

Extra virgin olive oil's only good for cooking IMO. I have a whole lot of it... I'll try making a salad dressing or maybe EVOO mayo... eh, scratch the mayo.

not really it is only good for salads , EVOO have a very low smoke point. For cooking and awesome, but expensive oil is avocado, or coconut oil OO should be used in non cooked foods.

Hi can someone please give me a recipe for liquid detergent? Also can 100% Coconut liquid soap be used in front loader?

Sorry I found it on Susie's Tutorial can it be used in hard water?

Last edited:
Detergents are not what we make here. We make soap.

You can, indeed, use 100% CO in a front loader. (that is what I would use for laundry soap) You use 1-2 oz, depending on load size. You will want to use some white vinegar in the rinse cycle. Again, 1-2 oz depending on load size.

Before trying to craft your own, I think it would be much, much easier in the long run to first start out with something simple like the 65% olive oil recipe that Susie just posted a link to. Making a very simple, well-known, time-tested, trouble-free recipe like that will not only get you started off on the right foot by allowing you to familiarize yourself with the process without being bogged down with the unforeseen troubles that a new, untested recipe may cause, but once you try the resulting finished soap out on your skin, it will also give you a better baseline idea of how to go about crafting your own formula in a more deliberate manner (i.e., instead of shooting in the dark).

IrishLass :)
Hi IrishLass

With the simple Olive oil recipe, is it mild enough for face? I have quite sensitive skin. Should I go with the other recipe? Should I drop out the coconut oil as it's drying?

Say I make a batch, and set aside some to dilute with distilled water. For hand and shower.

Another part of that soap can I use the dilution method of your Shea/Coco butter soap. Add the stearic acid and meadow form oil for a face soap? To up the super fat.

Last edited:
Back