Liquid Colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPowers

Reaction score
Has anyone used liquid colorants as opposed to micas? These seem like they'd be a good option but would like feedback before proceeding. Thanks,

Thanks... I think I've seen them at New Directions and I know BB has them called LabColors.

Thanks... I think I've seen them at New Directions and I know BB has them called LabColors.

I have seen Karen with EdensSecret1 (YouTube) use liquid colors, but haven’t tried them myself as I dont make enough soap to warrant the one year expiration date, or that I have to disperses and preserve it Looking at the color samples provided, the majority are either washed out or they morph in cold process soap. I might try the Lime since it appears to keep its brilliant color. Of course, I will have to buy a preservative.

I've used them. I have no idea what brand they are - I bought them from a suppler here in NZ. The colours look like nothing when you first mix them in and then...BAM! once gelled they really pop! They seem to develop over time. I had an interesting case when I made Zany's No-Slime Castille where I used the blue one ( which always turns purple in soap) and it just looked pale pink, so added a bit more, and a bit more... until it looked kinda pinky/lilac. It morphed over time into a denim blue colour. very strange I think they are very affected by alkalinity. I'll dig out a couple of pics of soap where they were used:
The first three were some of my very early soaps. The last three were the morphing castilles.
070F7088-D853-4ECE-8047-E45EE9439413_1_201_a.jpegIMG_2573.jpegIMG_0492.jpegIMG_0578.jpegIMG_0595.jpegIMG_2850.jpeg
The only info I have on them is that they are called a PCD liquid dye. And they are apparently known to morph in CP.

Last edited:
I've used them. I have no idea what brand they are - I bought them from a suppler here in NZ. The colours look like nothing when you first mix them in and then...BAM! once gelled they really pop! They seem to develop over time. I had an interesting case when I made Zany's No-Slime Castille where I used the blue one ( which always turns purple in soap) and it just looked pale pink, so added a bit more, and a bit more... until it looked kinda pinky/lilac. It mopped over time into a denim blue colour. very strange I think they are very affected by alkalinity. I'll dig out a couple of pics of soap where they were used:
The first three were some of my very early soaps. The last three were the morphing castilles.
View attachment 46723View attachment 46724View attachment 46725View attachment 46726View attachment 46727View attachment 46728
beautiful.

You can save yourself some money and make your own liquid colors. I tried mixing up some colors ahead of time but found out that they just took up to much room. The only liquid color I use now is for MP soap.

Personally I just either add them dry, straight into my warm oils or I mix them with a little safflower, sunflower oil and then dump them into my oils. If I am doing multiple colors I just add a little oil to the beaker I'm using and mix the mica in to break up any clumps, then pour my batter in mix with a spatula.

I’m pretty sure @Relle uses them. I’ve thought about it, but I’m not sure where to buy them for cp soap making/haven’t done the research.
Yes, I use them, haven't had them morph like kiwi, what I get in the bowl is pretty much how they turn out. I buy mine here in Oz.

1591599984810.png

I've used liquid colors as well. I purchased them from Nature's Garden and they worked just fine. I've not tried lab colors but did try another companies (cant remember the name) as well and they were okay but took too much to color.

Latest posts

Back