liquid base questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyScrubs

Reaction score
I have been reading about liquid concentrate bases. I want to make them but I need to understand a few things before I get started. I have read that I need to check the PH. of the soap. So what is the normal ph levels? Also I would be getting pre made liquid soap base, so would the ph test still count for me?

My next question is that I have read that some preservatives are ph sensitive. WHat does this mean? Also would I use the preservative before or after adding the salt? Do I use regular table or sea salt?

s

hi there!

i'm not very savvy on the subject, but www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com carries an extremely concentrated soap base- you use around 25-30% base and then add water. it's a very good price. they may be able to answer the rest of your questions too.

i've used it before and liked it. and you save on shipping.

Neutral pH is 7, less 7 is Acidic, more than 7 is Alkaline.

Bases generally already have a preservation system. You should check to see how your base is preserved and what the limitations of the base are, if indeed there are any limits.

Why are you adding salt to a liquid soap base?

is it a syndet base or a "true soap" base? soaps have a high pH - up around 9.5 or 10. you shouldn't have to worry if you are getting a pre-made base but heck, why not check with the supplier to be sure? in fact - they should be able to answer ALL your questions about their product....

being pH sensitive means that they are only effective in products that have a pH within a specific range

you needn't use a preservative in a "true soap" product as the high pH should be enough (unless you add milk maybe), but with a syndet you need to.

salt? you may not even need to add salt as a thickener.

Bases should be good to go. You need only follow the directions from the supplier. Ph & thickness should be correct & they should be correctly preserved when you get them.

carebear said:
salt? you may not even need to add salt as a thickener.
SoapyScrubs said:
oh. ok. Thanks, I haven't used salt but I have read that it can make the soap thicker.

I had no idea salt could be used as a thickener? I've only ever used xanthan gum to thicken, outside of emulsifiers. How does it hold up?

Thanks so much, love to learn new things! Can you give me more info?

Latest posts

Back