Lily of the valley

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to find one as well! They say Lily of the Valley is really difficult to isolate in a FO because it comes out weak/ doesn’t last. So I look for FO’s with it listed as a scent note. If I smell a good one I’ll come back and share. Now if you like Freesia, I can say that BB’s Freesia Bubble Bath is divine, and I think it includes some Lily of the Valley in there.

I would love to find one as well! They say Lily of the Valley is really difficult to isolate in a FO because it comes out weak/ doesn’t last. So I look for FO’s with it listed as a scent note. If I smell a good one I’ll come back and share. Now if you like Freesia, I can say that BB’s Freesia Bubble Bath is divine, and I think it includes some Lily of the Valley in there.

I do like freesia & thank you for the suggestion. Since I'm thinking of backing into palm oil (another story for another day) I may order from BB - I like to bunch orders rather than go piecemeal because of shipping. I don't buy a lot.

The one thing I know about perfumery is that LotV is difficult to do well because it's impossible to create an LotV EO. And I know this only because the creation of my favorite perfume, Diorissimo, an LotV scent, is a legend in the industry. I don't expect to find something on that level, but a sub will do.

And thank you, Zany!

I do like freesia & thank you for the suggestion. Since I'm thinking of backing into palm oil (another story for another day) I may order from BB - I like to bunch orders rather than go piecemeal because of shipping. I don't buy a lot.

The one thing I know about perfumery is that LotV is difficult to do well because it's impossible to create an LotV EO. And I know this only because the creation of my favorite perfume, Diorissimo, an LotV scent, is a legend in the industry. I don't expect to find something on that level, but a sub will do.

And thank you, Zany!

Since you are looking to order from BB, they have Lily of the Valley FO as well.

Same here. I had been using Symphony Scents (formerly Scent Shack) for I think 20 years now as a perfume oil and B&B scent and would buy in bulk then they DISCONTINUED IT!! Arrrgh.
It was the truest one I have found to date now I am scrambling to find a suitable replacement before the last of it runs out.
I do like New Directions version, but it is a bit too green. I have blended it with some of my remaining SS and that makes it a bit stronger but now I need to sub the SS one.
At a loss.

Thank you for the warning. If you don't mind a rustic look, is this a bad thing?
It can be a bad thing if you don't have time to fully incorporate the fragrance into the batch. and you find an "oil slick" on the top or bottom after it's in the mold. o_O

If it seizes, set your timer for 5 minutes and walk away. When you come back the batch is likely going into gel. It's warm and easy to stir and mold up. :thumbs: ;)

You can also try adding your fragrance to the warmed oils. SB for one full minute before adding the lye solution. This is also a good way to remember to include all the additives going into the batch. 😁

Can anyone suggest a lily of the valley FO?
Try Candles and Supplies located in PA. I've never had a seizing issue with theirs and I've been using it for years. And, the scent sticks!

Attachments

• 2-2021 Lily of the Valley cut bars.jpg
    2-2021 Lily of the Valley cut bars.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 9
Try Candles and Supplies located in PA. I've never had a seizing issue with theirs and I've been using it for years. And, the scent sticks!

Other than their LoTV, which of their FOs have you used & liked? Some of their combination scents look interesting.

Goodness! I just checked my bottle and it's marked as Skin Safe. It was purchased a year ago. Something must have changed. Thank you for noting this as I probably would have purchased a new bottle and never noticed.

Or perhaps there is an error on their website. That's an easy error to make.

I would email them. It's either wrong on the bottle or wrong on the website. They should know this so as to make whatever change should be made.

Also, it's so hard to know whether a scent will seize. They have very few reviews but one said that a particular oil was lovely but ruined an entire batch. I assume (amirite?) that scents from the major soap suppliers have been tested for this. My next step in soaping is scents and I've gathered that that is a whole level of "adventure."

Last edited:
I recently bought New Directions Aromatics lily of the valley - smells pretty true to the flower but I haven’t soaped with it yet
I have that one too and like it BUT - I find it too "green" by itself. I had been blending it in with my remaining supply of Symphony Scents and the result is a nice, natural (not overly flowery) LOV scent.

Latest posts

Back