Layering

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neve

Reaction score
I just did a batch with two layers - something I have been planning for weeks. I forgot to spray alcohol on the first layer before adding the next layer. Will that matter? What does the alcohol do?

I will cut the soap and post the pic tomorrow if it doesn't fall apart on me! I really, really hope not it was a lot of work.

I just did my first layered soap yesterday and cut it this afternoon with out spraying it and it turned out great. I don't even spray the top to reduce ash since it doesn't bother me and it lets people know it's handmade.

CP so that's good then.

It smells awful I don't know why. I hope it smells better tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

What fragrance did you use? Is it a milk soap? Milk can smell funky in the short term but usually settles down.

No it's coconut oil cocoa butter and OO. It has cocoa powder, coffee grounds and walnut shells added in. It was quite disgusting to mix actually! Not used to colour.

So my darling husband informed me that Nanaimo bars in fact have three layers (oops) which means my coffee/cocoa/walnut layer is now the base and I need to do a smooth chocolate layer on top. Which will actually be better. But as you can see from the pics, it filled the mould. Any suggestions for pouring another layer on whilst not having it run down the sides?

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1383841378.717985.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1383841393.167469.jpg

Could you bring a batch to really thick trace and then spread it on top, kind of like frosting?

Would the top layer would stick, though, since you're putting new soap batter on top of already made soap? I've never tried it, but that would be my question.

I don't know. At this stage I don't know what to do with it. I haven't had time to do another batch. If I knew it would stick I would try another layer so I can say I made a Nanaimo bar instead of half of one!

Ok I used wax paper on the sides. I will never do Nanaimo bars again! Too messy and too hard!ImageUploadedBySoap Making1384148328.051989.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1384148339.035861.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1384148373.101544.jpg

It was a little difficult not to eat the chocolate topping! I mean, it looked just like chocolate and smelled like chocolate too - I put quite a bit of cocoa in.

And some of it is going to my friend who has a three year old child- that makes me just a little nervous.

I'm glad I did it though, it's something I really wanted to try. And now to simpler pursuits... :)

oh my! beautiful soap! almost looks like Nanaimo bars or ice cream sandwiches! yum!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back