Laundry Circa 1780

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for posting this, artemis. I really enjoyed watching it. I've been to a few historic sites where they do that kind of demonstration, but have never had the pleasure of being there at the right time to see the laundry demo. So I am really glad to have the chance to see this.

I wish I had thought of a battle board when I used to wash our laundry in a huge bucket on the camp grill when my kids were young. The place we camped every year had a large round concrete campfire with a steel grill that I used to set a huge aluminum pail (about the size of a half barrel) to boil water to wash the clothes. I'd stir them with a stick and wring them out by hand. That battle board would have been so useful!

How precious dear Maggie is. What an actress. Felt like I was there 200 years ago. And how lucky we are to be here now!! Thank you for posting. I grew up in the 60's. A family from Kentucky were our next door neighbors with 9 kids. Momma Hattie still had a wringer washer in their basement and probably 10 drying lines with one box fan a goin.
What a job and what a tough woman she was!

Latest posts

Back