last nights soap/problems?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honor435

Reaction score
i made hp, with cinnamon and lavender eo's, and a higher amt of olive than i usually do, and i heard that i can add 1 oz of something to superfat? so i added castor, i have brown spots throughout bars, is this ok? did the castor do that?

It's hard to say without the recipe. Can you post your recipe?

Chay said:
It's hard to say without the recipe. Can you post your recipe?

olive oil 19.048
coc 6.39
palm 6.39
water 15.5
lye 4.27
1 oz caster after cook

Soapmomma said:
I've superfatted with castor many times with no problems. Could it have been the cinnamon eo?

maybe it got really dark brown, but now its lighter with spots of brown.
Never used cin. before, usually use fo, not eos.

Super fat

For every one at the forum there is a great article written by Kevin M. Dunn
At cavemanchemistry.com......from the Hampden- Sidney College on super fat and weather to super fat at trace or use a super fat discount. I think you will be amazed with the results. Bottom line it makes no difference if it's done as a super fat discount or added at trace. There's also some interesting reading as well as curbing the dreaded orange spots.
Chainapa

yea but she HP'd her soap and added it after the cook. so the lye is already tied up. now there IS some discussion about how inert soap is and if the free fatty acids will swap with those tied up in the soap portion but that's not, I believe, what you were mentioning.

regarding the castor: no it doesn't brown

regarding cinnamon EO: use great care as it can be very irritating

regarding superfatting: "someone said I can add one ounce" is pretty vague. your recipe was already at a high superfat (9%) and the additional castor brought it up to 11%. olive is not the most stable of oils in terms of DOS so I personally don't recommend that level of superfat for a high (58%) olive oil recipe.

also your lye solution is terribly weak which means that, in general, unless you have overcooked it your soaps are going to shrink as they cure and warp. a cosmetic thing but still something to keep in mind. your solution was less than 21.5% and I generally for HP recommend 27%.

chainapa, she added the castor after the "cook" (i.e. she's doing hot process). If I'm not mistaken, with HP, you can in fact superfat with a specific fat, unlike with CP.

surf girl said:
Woops, carebear beat me to it.
yikes im confused! this a recipe from soapmaking essentials.com, so they miscalc. the lye? maybe i will just toss this batch?

honor435 said:
i made hp, with cinnamon and lavender eo's, and a higher amt of olive than i usually do, and i heard that i can add 1 oz of something to superfat? so i added castor, i have brown spots throughout bars, is this ok? did the castor do that?

so, from the cavman article, it is normal, in high soft oils soaps to have spots and isnt harmful, some things may help, interesting article. I may try rosemary extract, next time, if i do a high olive oil soap.

DOS (dreaded orange spots, which can also be yellow!) isn't harmful per se, but it is evidence of localized and systemic rancidity and rancid soap will soften and eventually stink.

However, in re-reading Kevin Dunn's work I find that his experimentation does not support high superfat making a difference in the development of DOS but rather the formula (i.e., selection of oils) itself. I stand self-corrected.

So have at it.

(either way the soap isn't BAD - don't throw it away!

Back