Lard question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathymzr

Reaction score
I read on the forum that lard makes a gentle soap. Although it’s against principles I might just try it. I also read that it’s hard to find lard without preservatives. Does it matter if it does? Where would one find lard without preservatives? Thanks everyone!

Soo far all of my Lard has come from bacon grease or some people in other countries refer to it as "drippings". I have been showering with my cured Lard soap for two days now and it is very easy on the skin, it doesn't smell and the soap bars are very durable. I put the bar on a dry surface when I am finished using it. I havn't done a standing water test on them but really no need to either.

I find lard soap much more gentle than 100% OO soap. It's my favorite to use. You can use the lard from your local grocer if they carry it. The BHT & preservatives doesn't affect the soap at all. I get mine in 50 lb blocks from Gordon Foods and it's got the preservatives in it and I've never had an issue.

You could render it yourself. It is fairly easy and the meat dept. at your local grocery store will have the fat. They may even give it to you as most if them throw it away. Just ask them if they could set some aside for you.

You could render it yourself. It is fairly easy and the meat dept. at your local grocery store will have the fat. They may even give it to you as most if them throw it away. Just ask them if they could set some aside for you.
In Australia the fat doesn't get thrown away, they get it picked up and paid for it. The OP is in Hawaii, so they might do something different with theirs.

Soo far all of my Lard has come from bacon grease or some people in other countries refer to it as "drippings". I have been showering with my cured Lard soap for two days now and it is very easy on the skin, it doesn't smell and the soap bars are very durable. I put the bar on a dry surface when I am finished using it. I havn't done a standing water test on them but really no need to either.
I'm glad you like your soap but bacon grease? Really? I'd be too busy cooking with that goodness to think about soaping with it. I can't eat much by way of pork but bacon grease is extra flavor.

In Australia the fat doesn't get thrown away, they get it picked up and paid for it. The OP is in Hawaii, so they might do something different with theirs.
Same here in Southern California. The stores are paid for the fat and it goes to local rendering houses. No free fat or trimmings, in fact, you cannot even buy it from a store.

Latest posts

Back