Lard and DOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tklechak

Reaction score
Is lard subject to DOS more so than coconut and olive oil?? I have recently started to develop DOS (never got DOS before using lard). The only 2 things I have done different are: I used lard (I think at 50% and I left the soap out in the garage to cure. Outside temps were around 100, so it was probably warmer in the garage. The soap has developed DOS in about 5 weeks. What does everyone think?? Thanks for the input, Timm ....

I agree. I use lard at 50% and very rarely get DOS. Heat isn't good for soap, bring it inside and keep it cool.

I think it's more leaving it out in the garage to cure than the lard in your recipe causing your round of DOS. Heat speeds up the oxidation process that is oils going rancid (which is what DOS is).

Thank you! That is kind of what I was thinking, but I have never used lard before, so I wasn't sure. Next batch I make, I will cure in a cool place and see what happens ... Timm .......

Where did you get your lard? Most of the commercial ones have preservatives included, but if you rendered it yourself...

I purchased it at the local WalMart. Thanks BG !!

P.S., wasn't there a way you could "Thank"someone on here??? I thought there was, but I don't see it .......

I used to make lard soap from fat I rendered myself. No DOS. Probably the hot garage.

The point was not that home-rendered was more prone to DOS than any other fat, but that commercial ones were less than home-rendered because commercial ones have preservatives.

But yes, probably the hot garage.

Even when it's 100° outside, my garage is even hotter than that. It tends to hold and intensify heat much more than the outdoors because there are no winds or breezes to help.

But you live in Sedona. What a lovely place to live!

Last year, was extremely humid very hot temps, I leave my soaps in my booth just cover them. Few of my bars developed DOS but all with palm oil not lard. Humid will cause it
I use commercial lard, much easier than render

I am sure some of the members here will remember when I did a test of several brands of lard and I remember all getting dos. Farmer John was the worst. I am not home so cannot check my notes but I am thinking they were around 3% superfat. Maybe someone will remember. I now use lard at or less than 25% adding in a titch of extra BHT, which my lard always contains. So yes lard can get very dossy.

Back