Lanolin butter vs Lanolin liquid wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinbago27

Reaction score
Hi All and Happy New Year!

I have some lanolin butter and want to use it in CP soap. SoapCalc lists lanolin liquid wax...is that the same as the butter? If not, do I do a percentage of oils as a calculation? I've read the old posts on lanolin so I plan to stick to a 3% usage.

Thank you!

At first I assumed that lanolin butter was a butter made up of a list of ingredients that contained lanolin. However Wholesale Supplies Plus has the INCI name for lanolin butter as lanolin. Using SoapCalc, lanolin wax has an SAP value of 0.076. Lanolin is listed with an SAP value of 0.074 in SoapMaker 3.

I wouldn't go above 3% in your recipe, as too much lanolin can make a sticky bar of soap. I don't understand what you are referring to using as "a 1/4 tsp ppo measurement.

I wouldn't go above 3% in your recipe, as too much lanolin can make a sticky bar of soap. I don't understand what you are referring to using as "a 1/4 tsp ppo measurement.
I'm guessing she was trying to ask whether it should go into the list of oils that get saponified, or into the list of additional (non-saponified) ingredients. Definitely the former.

I have some lanolin butter and want to use it in CP soap. SoapCalc lists lanolin liquid wax...is that the same as the butter? If not, do I do a percentage of oils as a calculation? I've read the old posts on lanolin so I plan to stick to a 3% usage.
WSP is the best place to get an answer to this question.

WSP Lanolin Butter

The INCI is "lanolin" and the description also suggests that it is "lanolin" -- which we know as a "liquid wax" even though it is not described that way on WSP. So. Feel free to tick "Lanolin Liquid Wax" and enter 3% to do your lye calculation. "1/4 tsp ppo" is a volume measure. The 3% is by weight.

TIP: I use 2 popsicle sticks to weigh out the amount of lanolin I need. 1 stick to scoop some out; the other stick to scrape the lanolin off the first stick and into the weighing container. ;)

Last edited:
it’s been 1 yr as of Jan 2 that I have been making soap
WooHoo.gif
HAPPY SOAPY ANNIVERSARY!!! :hippo::hippo::hippo:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back