Labelling containers with .5 oz lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickgould

Reaction score
I know I read somewhere, (but can't find it) that under a certain weight, you didn't need to include it on the label. Was it .5 ounces? So if it's .5 or less, I can leave it off the label or is it that it has to be under .5 (like .49999) oz to qualify not to need it?

Vickie

do you mean as far as INCI names and ingredients? if so...everything needs to be included on the label to my knowledge

I really do not understand the question.

No matter how much product you have in your package, you are required by law to show the amount on the label.

Are you asking about the ingredient list? Ingredients must be listed in order from most to least, but those in at 1% or less can be at the end in no particular order.

I have trial/sample size jars that hold about .5 ounce of product. I know that at a certain weight, I don't have to list the weight of the product inside the jar. Like lip balm doesn't require to have the net weight of lip balm listed. Yes, you can have it, but No, you're not required.
Vickie

Found it!

Cosmetics in packages containing less than 1/4 av. oz. or 1/8 fl. oz. are exempt from the net quantity of contents declaration if affixed to a properly labeled display card or sold at retail in a properly labeled outer container [21 CFR 1.24].

When a cosmetic is required to bear net quantity of contents declarations on the inner and outer container, the declaration on the outer container must appear on the PDP; on the inner container, it may appear on an information panel other than the panel bearing the name of the product, i.e., the front panel.

Latest posts

Back