KOH in Liquid soap--dangers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raha

Reaction score
Dear Soap Makers,
I make an organic liquid soap from olive oil with potassium hydroxide (KOH). I thought that because it was saponified that it's safe to use on babies and adults as a body wash as well as hand soap. My question is that is there any sort of side effect (babies going blind) if it gets in their eyes?(here is a link sent to me by a customer http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 002482.htm ) My soaps don't have any tear-free chemicals in them. I figured it's the same as with my CP bar soaps and soduim hyrdoxide--yes, on it's own it's a dangerous chemical that can burn/blind but saponified you have traditional soap OO soap that's been used for generations and generations...
Thank you for your input!
Grateful,
Raha

I don't think it will make babies blind, it will just hurt like heck (as with any soap) if it gets in their eyes. If it is fully saponified, there shouldn't be any giant problems. The 'baby friendly' liquid soaps have more to do with what base oils you use. You will need to check in the country you live in, but in the EU we have different regulations and further testing for any cosmetic (including soaps) to be used on children and babies.

Raha said:
Dear Soap Makers,
I make an organic liquid soap from olive oil with potassium hydroxide (KOH). I thought that because it was saponified that it's safe to use on babies and adults as a body wash as well as hand soap. My question is that is there any sort of side effect (babies going blind) if it gets in their eyes?(here is a link sent to me by a customer http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 002482.htm ) My soaps don't have any tear-free chemicals in them. I figured it's the same as with my CP bar soaps and soduim hyrdoxide--yes, on it's own it's a dangerous chemical that can burn/blind but saponified you have traditional soap OO soap that's been used for generations and generations...
Grateful,
Raha

:wink: I make a non stinging liquid baby wash formulated with a combination of very mild surfactants, no chemicals added to prevent tears :p
Soap stings, because of it's PH level.
No way to work around that.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a liquid soap marketed towards babies.
I'd be afraid of parents washing the hair of their little one with it...

Raha said:
Dear Soap Makers,
Grateful,
Raha

there is no potassium hydroxide IN your soap. it's chemically converted to soap, as you know. customers who are afraid, though, will not be convinced.

Latest posts

Back