Just poured my first batch of milk soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeblossom

Reaction score
It looked great going into the wooden loaf mold. :D
I followed Paul's RMCP for making it, except I have an excess of local cow's milk, so I used that instead of GM. I infused 2 vanilla beans, with the seeds, into coconut oil (100%) and it looked like ice cream base before putting it into the ice cream maker--yum! So now I'm going to watch for the gel, and then take the lid off and let it cool because it sure did get hot as soon as I added the milk. Very excited over here. Thanks for all the help!

soap

that's sounds wonderful! i love milk soaps! i LOVE vanilla, but have never used vanilla beans before. please keep us posted!

what have you got planned for next batch?

I think I'm going to make some 100% coconut oil soap for my family for Christmas in these silicone snowflake molds and pine tree molds. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FPX4GM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Using Peppermint Essential Oil. Then maybe more milk soaps.

Update: It's gelling now....do I wait for it to stop gelling before letting it cool? It's also turning tannish-orange. I think it's pretty, but does that mean I did something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
soap

this gelling thing has got me foxed-some place in fridge to stop gell-i let it do its thing. milk will discolor to a beige or tan. i believe it is the sugar in the milk.

i make rtcp and it warms up a bit, but has never gelled. my regular c/p soaps always gelled-i don't know...it's a complete mystery to me.

sorry i cant be more helpful-no matter what color it comes out, it'll be great! i LOVE milk soaps!

The color could be from the milk going above 150 degrees after the lye was added. It will not hurt the soap.

I normally let my milk soap gel, but I do not cover it.

We all do what works for us. It is a trial and error sort of thing.

I cannot wait to hear how your soap turns out! Vanilla bean...interesting. :lol:

That sounds really great/ I looked at the vanilla beans in the shops one day standing there wondering what I could do with them (with soap, I don't really think about what I am going to cook anymore now that I make soap, just not that interesting!!)

Latest posts

Back