Quantcast

Jojoba sub

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

beachgurl

Reaction score
Can I sub sal butter for jojoba in a lip balm recipe?? What are other acceptable subs for jojoba?

digit

Reaction score
I do not see why not. Are you subbing for liquid or solid jojoba? Sal butter has a firmness rating of 6, a bit softer than shea. :D

Digit

beachgurl

Reaction score
Subbing for liquid jojoba. The recipe calls for 10% jojoba, but I like the sal butter.

Here's my prospective rundown:

20% Wax
20% Palm Oil
15% Butter
15% Castor
10% Jojoba oil (but I'd like to do Sal butter or some other oil)
10% Avocado
10% Frac. Coconut

I'm trying to increase the item's profit margin without sacrificing quality (maybe these finance courses will be helpful some day :lol: ) . I have jojoba wax, which I might use for this one as the actual wax portion instead of my normal beeswax and then throw the sal in place of the jojoba oil because I already have it on hand and I believe on a per ounce basis, sal is actually cheaper than jojoba oil but they share many of the same beneficial properties. Will it work?

digit

Reaction score
Are you planning to package them in pots, tins or tubes? I certainly no pro here so until one comes by I will tell you what I think. :roll:

Your recipe as written is 45% oils. This looks like a very soft balm. You could always make a small test batch just to check for firmness and how it feels on your lips. This is where a very accurate 0.01 gram scale comes in handy. If you wish for it to be firmer, add (take note) more wax.

You definately do not want to hear from a customer later that the tube/tin of lip balm melted in purse/pocket and stained everything. :shock:

beachgurl

Reaction score
I ended up increasing the wax and it turned out wonderfully :)