Jersey fresh newbie here!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaeDB

Reaction score
I still consider myself a newbie,though started soapmaking almost two years ago. Hoping to find friends, mentors and allies here among the members. My friends and family are pressuring me to start a business but I feel I need more experience.
So...hi everyone!!!

Welcome, ShaeDB!

My family & friends pressured me to get into selling, too.....after about only 6 months of soaping experience! lol That was about 12 years ago or so. Thankfully, I resisted, and I'm sure the soaping world thanks me for that, too. lol For what it's worth, I'm still quite content at being just a hobbyist. :)

About 4 or 5 years ago, I seriously considered taking it to the next level, but after examining all the pros and cons, I firmly decided against it. I know myself only too well.......a business person I am most definitely not! lol Plus, the idea having to make soap out of obligation to clients vs wanting to make soap for the sheer pleasure of making it at my leisure and gifting it to family & friends would suck all the enjoyment out of it for me. Not only that, my house is much too small to store all the supplies and finished products it would take to run such a business.

You know yourself better than anyone else- don't give in to the pressure if you don't feel ready.

IrishLass :)

I still consider myself a newbie,though started soapmaking almost two years ago. Hoping to find friends, mentors and allies here among the members. My friends and family are pressuring me to start a business but I feel I need more experience.
So...hi everyone!!!
If you do not feel ready or really do not want to sell don't. It is as simple as that :D It is hard work with tons of competitation. Sadly for me most of my friends are gone and family does not tend to ask for my soap because they know I sell. Plus I do not see much of my family due to life getting in the way, so since I love making soap and to me it is not a job I sell. In fact I have nightmares that I will not get to sell for one reason or another. It is very hard work if you go the outdoor market and craft fair route.

Welcome.gif

PS: I soap because it's cheaper than therapy! :cool:

Hi ShaeDB! I'm in the same boat with the family urging to start selling, I just keep reminding them that greatness doesn't happen overnight and that my focus needs to be on learning and testing that if/when I decide to sell that I have products I am willing to stand behind. I think their just super excited about the possibilities

Latest posts

Back