Ivory Soap and Restless Leg Syndrome

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was visiting with a friend today who has suffered with restless leg syndrome for quite some time. She heard from a friend that if she placed Ivory Soap under her fitted sheet near her feet, it would cure the problem. She is quite the skeptic but thought it was worth a try. She did it. lt worked. My question is, why?

Often (not always) RLS and leg cramps are due to magnesium deficiency, and can be successfully treated with high doses of magnesium, both oral and topical. Several of my family members had one or both these issues, and magnesium worked for all of them. A quick Google search came up with several sites saying that putting bar soap underneath the sheets works because "soap contains magnesium." But that wouldn't be true for handcrafted soap, only syndet bars.

Often (not always) RLS and leg cramps are due to magnesium deficiency, and can be successfully treated with high doses of magnesium, both oral and topical. Several of my family members had one or both these issues, and magnesium worked for all of them. A quick Google search came up with several sites saying that putting bar soap underneath the sheets works because "soap contains magnesium." But that wouldn't be true for handcrafted soap, only syndet bars.
aha!

Why is not for me to answer. But I have had people tell me the same for leg cramps. They said it works! In fact I have had people who bought soap from me for that reason
Interesting

Ivory Soap is a lye based bar. “Ivory is a lye based soap, and is the only lye based soap on the market today. Ivory is made by the reaction of Fat and oils (animal or plant)”

My husband suffers from leg cramps. He takes magnesium every day and also applies topically. Still gets cramps. Has not tried soap!
He should give it a try - apparently, for some people, it works. ~ ; )

Ivory Soap is a lye based bar. “Ivory is a lye based soap, and is the only lye based soap on the market today. Ivory is made by the reaction of Fat and oils (animal or plant)”

Not sure how or why Ivory Soap would work since apparently it is a true soap, and not a syndet bar. Some of the online sources say that scientific testing hasn't produced any similar results as have been reported anecdotally.

But hey, there are a whole lot of natural/alternative remedies out there that work for lots of people despite lack of scientific proof, so you might as well give it a try. :)

A bar of soap (no particular brand) has been around for ages and ages as a home remedy for preventing awakening in the night with leg cramps. I never tried it myself, but my MIL & FIL had a bar of soap (not Ivory) at the foot of their bed under the sheets for each of them for a very long time.

I used to get leg cramps a lot when I was young, but a good supplement got rid of them and I rarely get one now. My quick remedy for muscle twitching & muscle cramps when they do occur (used to be in my eyelids, but sometimes other places) is tonic water with quinine.

Another remedy is pickle juice, which I have not tried.

Yup, pickle juice helps to restore the electrolyte balance, which is often another cause of leg cramps. It's a thing in the keto diet world, as well as for runners, tennis players, and other athletes involved in high-perspiration sports.

A bar of soap (no particular brand) has been around for ages and ages as a home remedy for preventing awakening in the night with leg cramps. I never tried it myself, but my MIL & FIL had a bar of soap (not Ivory) at the foot of their bed under the sheets for each of them for a very long time.

I used to get leg cramps a lot when I was young, but a good supplement got rid of them and I rarely get one now. My quick remedy for muscle twitching & muscle cramps when they do occur (used to be in my eyelids, but sometimes other places) is tonic water with quinine.

Another remedy is pickle juice, which I have not tried.
My mom used to take quinine for her muscle cramps but when i read the adverse effects for her heart problems she switched to magnesium.

I found that a dill pickle spear...or a small whole pickle...eaten with supper or sometime before bed will prevent my leg cramps. I tried the pickle juice but just couldn't hack it. The taste was bad enough going down, but then it made my teeth feel just like I had scraped my fingernails along on old blackboard...set my nerves on edge too. After taking it daily for a week or two I find I don't need it on a daily basis any longer. It was better than any other of the "cures" that had been recommended.

I found that a dill pickle spear...or a small whole pickle...eaten with supper or sometime before bed will prevent my leg cramps. I tried the pickle juice but just couldn't hack it. The taste was bad enough going down, but then it made my teeth feel just like I had scraped my fingernails along on old blackboard...set my nerves on edge too. After taking it daily for a week or two I find I don't need it on a daily basis any longer. It was better than any other of the "cures" that had been recommended.

Good to know. Thank you.

I suffer from night cramps in my legs occasionally. I know it’s because I don’t drink enough water. My fast remedy for this is I keep a bottle of mustard on my nightstand. It gives me almost instant relief

Latest posts

Back