Ivory Soap and Restless Leg Syndrome

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yellow mustard per what I am reading. 1-2 teaspoons. One theory suggests it is the isothiocyanates in mustard that stimulate an area at the back of the throat that sends neural messages; another suggests it is the acetic acid content; and another suggests it is the turmeric which colors the mustard. No scientific supporting evidence, but anectodal experience seems to support the claim that it works (at least for some folks.)

Yellow mustard per what I am reading. 1-2 teaspoons. One theory suggests it is the isothiocyanates in mustard that stimulate an area at the back of the throat that sends neural messages; another suggests it is the acetic acid content; and another suggests it is the turmeric which colors the mustard. No scientific supporting evidence, but anectodal experience seems to support the claim that it works (at least for some folks.)
Oh that is interesting. I can't imagine slugging back a couple of teaspoons in the middle of the night, but still interesting. Thanks for the information.

Oh that is interesting. I can't imagine slugging back a couple of teaspoons in the middle of the night, but still interesting. Thanks for the information.
I don't know which would be worse...the teaspoons of mustard or a shot or two of pickle juice! LOL At least I like dill pickles AND they don't set my teeth on edge like the juice does. But until I found the pickle "cure" I was ready to try just about anything to get rid of the cramps I was getting nightly.

I don't know which would be worse...the teaspoons of mustard or a shot or two of pickle juice! LOL At least I like dill pickles AND they don't set my teeth on edge like the juice does. But until I found the pickle "cure" I was ready to try just about anything to get rid of the cramps I was getting nightly.
I have heard the cramps themselves jolt people awake, but to top it off with either one of the remedies would keep you awake I'm sure.

@Pseal ok then! I do love mustard but am not sure I love it that much. 😁 But I am going to share this with my husband, who does occasionally still get leg cramps during the day. His night ones are mostly gone since we started applying topical magnesium. And he actually loves to saturate his sandwiches with mustard, too!

@Pseal ok then! I do love mustard but am not sure I love it that much. 😁 But I am going to share this with my husband, who does occasionally still get leg cramps during the day. His night ones are mostly gone since we started applying topical magnesium. And he actually loves to saturate his sandwiches with mustard, too!
I do not have an obsession with mustard. I do like it on sandwiches. I like mustard a whole lot better than I do leg cramps. There is nothing any worse than to be sleeping so good and be woke up by leg cramps so bad that rips you clear out of the bed 😢

I do not have an obsession with mustard. I do like it on sandwiches. I like mustard a whole lot better than I do leg cramps. There is nothing any worse than to be sleeping so good and be woke up by leg cramps so bad that rips you clear out of the bed 😢
Boy howdy! My cramps would bring me out of bed and the need to walk them off after I found the strength to stand on my legs. You are wide awake for sure. I'm satisfied with my pickles at the moment, but if ever they stop working I'll keep the mustard in mind. But so far, knock wood, a couple pickles a week seem to be acting as a preventative, not just something to take when I get them.

Dill or Sweet pickle juice?
Same with what others have already said. Answering anyways so you don’t think I’m ignoring you 🙂
Dill. We save all our pickle juice when we’ve finished the pickles. We make our own pickles so it makes it a bit better for us to drink. Since we’ve mastered our own brine/seasonings.
My mother in law has been using pickle juice for years. For heartburn too. She buys cheap pickles and drinks the juice then tossed the remaining pickles.

Same with what others have already said. Answering anyways so you don’t think I’m ignoring you 🙂
Dill. We save all our pickle juice when we’ve finished the pickles. We make our own pickles so it makes it a bit better for us to drink. Since we’ve mastered our own brine/seasonings.
My mother in law has been using pickle juice for years. For heartburn too. She buys cheap pickles and drinks the juice then tossed the remaining pickles.

OK, my cramps are in the soles of my feet. You want to talk pain? Your toes are curling under and even walking does not stop it. I am eating 1 dill pickle spear and have not had them while awake.

OK, my cramps are in the soles of my feet. You want to talk pain? Your toes are curling under and even walking does not stop it. I am eating 1 dill pickle spear and have not had them while awake.
I too have this in the soles of my feet. As a result of hyper parathyroid diagnosis and surgery, I learned that a symptom of too much calcium in the blood can be muscle cramps. My surgeon specifically told me to be aware of muscle cramps so they could recheck my calcium levels. I had no problems for a few months. Then I started having cramps in the bottoms of my feet. When I went in for my annual check, I requested they check the calcium level in my blood in addition to all the usual tests they do. The level was fine and my GP recommended taking a magnesium supplement. I still get the cramps, but they are less frequent than they were. It is painful when it happens.

Last edited:
I have always suffered from restless leg syndrome. Magnesium pills helped me with that. Yoga also helped tremendously

I too have this in the soles of my feet. As a result of hyper parathyroid diagnosis and surgery, I learned that a symptom of too much calcium in the blood can be muscle cramps. My surgeon specifically told me to be aware of muscle cramps so they could recheck my calcium levels. I had no problems for a few months. Then I started having cramps in the bottoms of my feet. When I went in for my annual check, I requested they check the calcium level in my blood in addition to all the usual tests they do. The level was fine and my GP recommended taking a magnesium supplement. I still get the cramps, but they are less frequent than they were. It is painful when it happens.

Hubby gets them in his calves, I have a sure fire way to stop it in its tracks. I know where his calf pressure points are and just apply pressure to stop them. Mine can get so bad my feet look like I am crippled!

Latest posts

Back