It turned to goo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrambleNBumble

Reaction score
So I decided to mix up some soap using beer instead of water since I hear all sorts of good stuff about those kinds of soaps. I think I mixed it for too long because I went to put my stick blender in the sink, which all I have to do it turn around from the stove and walk a foot, and I came back to my pot and started to pour it into the mold it looked like thick goo. I swear it was only at a medium trace when I left it but looks can be deceiving. Anyway, long story short, will it turn out okay or did I make my first goof up?:confused:

It will probably be fine, it just won't be as smooth as it would have been if you had poured at a lighter trace.

Thanks for the feed back. Since it's only my second batch, my first being a Castile that will sit for months, I haven't gotten to try any yet. It will be a good learning experience lol.

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

I'm curious as to what you mean by thick goo, whenever I picture goo it's always as some stringy, firm snottish substance. I'm sort of imagining that you mean a really thick pudding however... If that is the case I can't imagine anything being wrong with it. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination (that is me being honest, not modest), but I've had mine become too much of a trace before. My first attempts at swirls I always ended up almost scooping the soap into the mold. It was too thick to even sink down at all into the rest of the soap, it just plopped ontop.

I've never had any problem with that soap though, it's nice and soft and silky and soapy, just like the ones that where at a lighter trace.

All my first batches were very thick at the beginning… I have cheap but very powerful blender, and it turn soap in a thick trace with a seconds! But all of them where fine after they harden in a mold, maybe not so pretty, but completely OK :) So if it was just a thick trace case you shouldn’t be worried!

I checked it this morning and noticed it cracked on top. Is that because of the really heavy trace or not enough liquids? If anything I can post the recipe when I get home from work.

Often cracks are caused by overheating when the soap gels. Its not from pouring at thick trace or from the amount of liquid.

Good to know. Next time I'll remember not to insulate it as much to keep it warm. I bet there was something in the cider beer to make it trace fast and get really warm. I'll have to take a closer look at it tonight.

Beer has natural sugars which will cause overheating. If its still soft enough, you can try and push the crack back together.

It was already pretty hard this morning. Here's what it looks like cut. Not the best smelling stuff but oh well. Not sure that I'll make this type again without tweaking it.

1381031723239.jpg

Here's is cut into bars. They aren't too even since I don't have a cutting guide yet but I'll get one once I get some extra spending cash.

1381031999219.jpg

I got inexpensive wire cheese cuter LOL Works brilliant!
And the soap looks good to me! Like chocolate cake :)

:)
So I decided to mix up some soap using beer instead of water since I hear all sorts of good stuff about those kinds of soaps. I think I mixed it for too long because I went to put my stick blender in the sink, which all I have to do it turn around from the stove and walk a foot, and I came back to my pot and started to pour it into the mold it looked like thick goo. I swear it was only at a medium trace when I left it but looks can be deceiving. Anyway, long story short, will it turn out okay or did I make my first goof up?:confused:

Beer can seize soap. At what point did you add in the beer? If adding it to lye water please be extremely careful in the future. Some beers, even if you feel are flat and have burned of the alcohol can still cause the lye to volcano. Handcrafted IPA beers are some of the worst. I soap 50/50 lye solution and add the beer into the soap batter after I have mixed the lye in the oils. Soap at room temp is best. Some of the strong beers can still cause the batter to erupt or at the very least overheat. I put all my beer soaps in the freezer and do not allow them to gel or try not to let them gel. Some will still partial gel. I make soap for a small Craft Brewery and their beer pack a punch. I cannot make the darn stuff go flat completely :crazy:

Latest posts

Back