It happened again, yellowspots on soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctay122

Reaction score
I posted pictures 1 Dec of a baby powder fragrance soap I made that ended up with yellow spots. As the soap has been curing, the spots are getting more pronounced and more orange! We thought it might be calendula from a calendula infused olive oil I made.

Decided to make a new batch...I used Snowdrift Farm's 5 oil recipe (avocado, almond, palm, coconut and sunflower), ran it through soap calc to verify lye/water, used the recommended amount of baby powder fragrance and guess what.....yellow spots again!
I am completely mystified why this has happened to the last 2 batches I've mae (and never happened to me before). The baby powder FO was bought less than 5 months ago. Can it possible a bad batch of oil causing this? Included a new picture too. Thanks anyone who can solve this puzzle.

Code:

Is it possible that I am soaping too high for this fragrance? I soaped at about 115 degrees.

It's probably too early for DOS unless one of your oils has gone bad. Sunflower can be prone to it if it's not the high oleic type. Given the size of the spots, I suspect it's your fragrance. Maybe it didn't fully incorporate for some reason?

Sorry this happened to you.

judymoody said:
It's probably too early for DOS unless one of your oils has gone bad. Sunflower can be prone to it if it's not the high oleic type. Given the size of the spots, I suspect it's your fragrance. Maybe it didn't fully incorporate for some reason?

Sorry this happened to you.

It has to be my FO. The sunflower oil I used from Soaper's Choice was high oliec. I am very disappointed. The FO is fairly new and I try to keep all my oils cool and in the dark.

the only way an FO would likely be responsible for that is if it wasn't mixed in completely.

so at what point in the process did you mix it in? and where did you get it?

I have a vanilla FO that I use, that won't blend properly. So I end up with brown spots throughout the soap - very frustrating.

I now warm my FO before I add it at trace, this seems to help.

carebear said:
the only way an FO would likely be responsible for that is if it wasn't mixed in completely.

so at what point in the process did you mix it in? and where did you get it?

I mixed it in at light trace and I was using a stick blender, so I am pretty sure that it was mixed in completely. I got it from Majestic Mountain Sage.

busymakinsoap! said:
I have a vanilla FO that I use, that won't blend properly. So I end up with brown spots throughout the soap - very frustrating.

I now warm my FO before I add it at trace, this seems to help.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will use it in the future. I don't think I will be making any more soap with this FO as I've now wasted over 8 lbs of oils and butters!

Back