Is this the right sruff?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a tip....see if you can find a white silk blouse for cheap at a thrift shop and make sure it's thoroughly clean and 100% silk. You can dissolve that in your lye solution too.

That can be used for soap.

It does say Commercially prepared, so it's probably not cruelty free.

I use Tussa Noil Silk in every batch. It looks just like what your link shows. I buy mine online at TheScentWorks.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
I use Tussa Noil Silk in every batch. It looks just like what your link shows. I buy mine online at TheScentWorks.

IrishLass :)

I love the silk I get at Scent Works!

I bought some from that same ebay seller. It's great and you get a whole lotta silk in 2 oz! The only thing I didn't know about was the little hard pieces intertwined in the silk, is that common? I just pick them out and go on but just curious..

That really is a good deal. Especially the shipping.

I searched eBay but none of the sellers list ANY Cruelty-Free silk :cry:

Yup that looks just like the stuff I use...the hard bits are parts of the cocoon or what it was attached to from what I understand.

There seems to be a whole lot of confusing information out there on Tussah Silk - I had understood that it was the "Peace" silk - cruelty free. Then I got some additional information that states that Tussah is a wild silk and that the tribes who gather and farm it eat the worms....ICK :shock: .... So now I don't know what to think other than I love it in my soaps....

What is everyone else hearing on this silk?

Cheers
Lindy

Tussah - the name of the worm that spins the cocoon. Also called a Silkworm

Silk - protein fiber obtained from the cocoon of the silkworm

Noil - short chopped fibers

Tussah Silk Noil is just silk fibers.

For commercially processed silk the cocoons are heated or boiled, killing the silkworm.

For cruelty-free silk the cocoons are collected after the moths have emerged from the cocoons.

Just because it says Tussah Silk Noil, or Tussah Silk doesn't mean it's cruelty free. It's all in the processing.

I'm not passing judgment on anyone who chooses to use regular silk, I just choose not to. :lol:

Thanks for posting this! I just ordered some since I saw a couple of PP's say they used it. :D

Latest posts

Back