Is this separating in the mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening,

I tried my best at adding in a papaya and mango puree. I thought I discounted the water properly and when I poured it into the mold it looked perfect! Solid after a few minutes. Now, over 24 Hrs later it has liquid on top. It feels Slippery but not heavy, very light. I think its oil? I tried searching the forum for my issue in the beginners thread. Is this separating in the mold? What can I do at this point? Re batch? Or will the liquid eventually evaporate? Here is a pic right after I poured it yesterday and one from tonight...
I appreciate any wisdom on this.
All my best
20180701_165310.jpg
20180702_215120.jpg

What was your recipe and how much puree did you add?

This is my recipe and I added the lye to only 4oz of distilled water and I added the rest in puree after mixing the lye and water together. That's how i saw it done in a few you tube videos. Thank you for taking a look.
Screenshot_2018-07-01-14-19-27.png

I see that picture is not legible. Here's a different pic of the ingredients list hopefully it's
Screenshot_2018-07-02-22-32-19.png
better

I ran it through soapcalc 29.5 lye concentration and SF 6.
So the recipe seems ok but wow - so many different oils I hope you didn't make a mistake.

So you added 4.68 oz of lye to 4.68 oz of water.
Then you weighed out 11.22 -4.68 = 6.54 puree.
When I use puree I make sure it is really dry - as in I boil it down until it is close to a stiff puree (but that probably isn't entirely necessary).

You then mix that puree in with the oils and then add the water/lye mix.
Is that what you did?

Yes, thats separation. Probably overheated from the sugars in the fruit puree, that is a lot of fruit. It needs to be rebatched, make sure you get all the oil in the crock and cook it on low until it all comes together.

I ran it through soapcalc 29.5 lye concentration and SF 6.
So the recipe seems ok but wow - so many different oils I hope you didn't make a mistake.

So you added 4.68 oz of lye to 4.68 oz of water.
Then you weighed out 11.22 -4.68 = 6.54 puree.
When I use puree I make sure it is really dry - as in I boil it down until it is close to a stiff puree (but that probably isn't entirely necessary).

You then mix that puree in with the oils and then add the water/lye mix.
Is that what you did?

Actually no. I added the lye to the oils then I added the puree.

I'll re batch it. Just for the sake of knowing. I actually did not use all fruit. I used just a little bit of fruit and added distilled water when processing to make the puree. So before i added anything i wanted to exactly how much was juice and how much was pulp. I didn't cook it doen so i guess technically it wasn't a true puree. I got 2.5oz of juice from each friut (that i could press through a fine mesh stainer) the rest was pulp. But come to thing of it, i dod not weigh the pulp after straining the juice out. So I dont have Thy actual measurement. That's probably my problem. Like said above, too much friut.
Ill try cooking it down next time. I bet there was alot more water and juice i could have squeezed out and maybe the fruit want broken down enough. I don't know.
Thank so much for the help!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back