Is this lard OK for soaping?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You didn't sound snobbish at all. I apologize if I sounded like I was criticizing you because that wasn't my intention. I thought I was being informative but it came out wrong. I just wanted to explain about titanium dioxide which does sound like something which could be hazardous. I want to state again that I consider it natural but not everyone does. Many people don't consider colorants produced from minerals as a "natural" product and will only use botanicals/herbs.

I actually liked your post because it was very informative. It'll cause me to look into TD and make a more informed decision. I just wanted to clarify why I wrote what I did (i.e. not to be snobbish, just to make sure I'm off chemicals since that's my motivation for soap making). If people are snobby about soap they have mental problems. Just saying.

I use oxides because the ones that are produced in a lab are actually safer than those that occur in nature which might also contain impurities, heavy metals, etc.

If you are interested in natural colors other than botanicals, I suggest clays which are mined from the earth and tend to be more stable in soap than spices or herbs.

I appreciate where you are coming from. For me, I figured that if I were using lye, there goes any natural claims. I have branched out to other formulations that require the use of emulsifiers and man-made surfactants. Not all are created equally. Some are more eco-friendly (and skin friendly) than others. It has required a lot of self-education.

If people are snobby about soap they have mental problems. Just saying.

heh, if you look up mental problems, amazingly none of them are about soap except possibly obsessive compulsive personality types and only by association with washing. So you have clean people that smell good, which make a customer base. :) Not only do you have a customer base, you have ones that buy lots of soap! :)

I'd like to meet the 'particular', 'discriminating', and 'picky' people that are 'snobby', those would be what I would call 'my customers'. :) :) I would consider myself one of them because I only like certain types of soaps .

@ smeetree -

I'm glad I didn't offend you; however, there are some people who are snobby about soapmaking. You may stumble across some of the posts by CP soapers who don't consider MP to be "real" soapmaking. Awhile back, a member posted how she was at a show and a CP soaper kept making derogatory remarks about her MP soap. It's ridiculous but there you go...

I admire MP soapers because I've seen some amazing soap. I don't have the patience to do detailed work like many of them.

heh, if you look up mental problems, amazingly none of them are about soap except possibly obsessive compulsive personality types and only by association with washing.

I don't know. I think some soapmakers are obsessive compulsive about making soap. Plus, we've had a few members which might be considered a little mental but in a good way. :lol:

Zinc oxide is also very safe and 'natural', and usually added to products to help sooth skin. Calamine is primarily zinc oxide with a teeny tiny bit of iron oxide that gives the pink color. Zinc oxide is also used in 'natural' ('chemical' free) sunscreens. Its also what is in diaper rash cream to sooth and protect the sensitive skin. I have it and use it for sunscreen, body powder, and a soothing balm. I've recently used it in soap as well.

...too much misinformation, propaganda and abuse generated by special interest groups to believe what I read or to trust words like "natural' and "organic"...
love this. me too. all poo rolls down hill.

Also, I use lard in every batch with positive effects. I used palm kernel flakes in one batch recently to experiment (5oz in a 4lb-ish batch) and it made a VERY hard bar of soap. it also completely overrode any trace of smell from the essential oils I used but you live and you learn.

Latest posts

Back