Is this lard OK for soaping?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsBaker

Reaction score
I sent my husband to get some lard from grocery store, and he brought different brand that I am used to soap with. This is La Preferida brand "Lard and hydrogenated lard", and ingredients are

lard
hydrogenated lard
BHA
Propyl gallate
Citric acid (to protect flavor)

Thank you in advance!

Yes, it works fine. This is the brand of lard I'm using right now (I was in a different store and couldn't find the one I normally buy) and I haven't had any problems. Hydrogenated fats will saponify just as well as regular fats. I've also used Crisco in soap without any problems. BHA and propyl gallate are antioxidants; although I've read people are getting fussy about these ingredients. But I doubt they'd make through exposure to lye. Citric acid lowers pH and assists as a preservative in food. I think BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid make up such a minimal amount that they're really not an issue, imo.

Thanks a lot, Hazel! I won't then hesitate emptying that big bucket of lard then. It would have been a bummer to ruin batches of soap with those additives which I didn't know how they would behave.

I have used lard a lot lately, instead of palm, it's cheaper, readily available and good for skin, I learned.

You're welcome! I've been using more lard, too. It's funny how I've gone from "ewww, that sounds gross" to "my skin loves it". Plus it's a good alternative to palm. I'm also surprised by how it increases the conditioning in my soap because it doesn't look like it would be that conditioning according to SoapCalc. I can even use a lower superfat in the recipes in which I use lard. This also seems to improve the bubbly amount in the lather.

More conditioning, more bubbles. It's a win-win situation.

What I read about lard is it results in a soft bar, but it's good if you want a white bar. Would you guys say that's accurate?
I haven't tried lard yet. What percentage do you use?

I make a 100% lard bar and its as hard as a rock. It also lasts quite a bit longer in the shower then my other bars. My main recipe has around 12% but I'm experimenting with a new recipe that has 25%, so far it feels really nice.

Where did you read that lard produces a soft bar? I don't know about other people but it adds a little more hardness to my recipes. But then again, almost all of my recipes are formulated to be more conditioning so my experience would be different from someone else's. I use lard at approximately 25% to 30%.

Where did you read that lard produces a soft bar? I don't know about other people but it adds a little more hardness to my recipes. But then again, almost all of my recipes are formulated to be more conditioning so my experience would be different from someone else's. I use lard at approximately 25% to 30%.

I believe it was on a different soap making forum. Months ago. I was trying to learn how to make white bars and came across someone mentioning lard will do that. Then others chimed in and said it was soft...

Do you find that it makes a white bar? I haven't tried that yet.

Is your palm oil white or red? I've had castile that was very white but I've also had some that is yellowish, depends on what kind of OO you use. Extra virgin make a ugly yellow, I don't buy it anymore.
That site seems to be accurate, though I've only made a few single oil soaps. If I want a truly white bar, I use a bit of titanium dioxide since my main recipe makes more of a creamy colored bar.

Is your palm oil white or red?

I bought the big jugs from Essential Depot. It's yellowish/white.

Which OO do you use, pomace?

I've heard about using titanium dioxide, but the reason I got into making soap is I wanted to get off all chemicals. So I've been using the natural colorants for now. I'm new to this and have only made 5 batches so far.

Last edited:
I use a lot of lard. I am able to get it from a local meat packager and it has no additives in it at a great price. For just a basic simple bar I only use 4 ingredients, lard, lye, water and coconut oil. I use 75% lard, 25% coconut oil and get a hard pure white bar with great lather.

I've heard about using titanium dioxide, but the reason I got into making soap is I wanted to get off all chemicals. So I've been using the natural colorants for now.

Titanium dioxide can be considered a "natural" colorant depending on your definition of what is natural. It's a mineral but needs to be processed to produce the pigment. IMO, I consider it "natural" since all colorants have to be processed in some way and TD is found in the earth. Other people may define "natural" as only colorants from plants.

BTW, there isn't a legal definition for "natural" colorants. Natural is a buzz word for label appeal. You see the word "natural" on a label and think since it's natural, it must be good for me. It helps to sell products. Organic is another word that is used for label appeal and the word "chemical" has developed a negative connotation. Everything is a "chemical"; although this is a simplification. Sodium hydroxide is a chemical and certainly cannot be considered "natural" since it has to be manufactured.

Please excuse my cynicism but I've seen too much misinformation, propaganda and abuse generated by special interest groups to believe what I read or to trust words like "natural' and "organic" as signifying something is a better product. However, I can understand the desire to eliminate possibly unnecessary ingredients from whatever you make.

If you are using extra virgin olive oil, that may be what is making your soap yellow. I use pomace or rice bran oils, they don't discolor my soaps. I think lard makes a great bar of soap, I like to add some coconut and Castor oils to get a bubbly as well as creamy lather.

comment on "natural"

My response to the "natural is better" snobbery is to sweetly state that hemlock is a "natural" ingredient but I still wouldn't put it in my tea!:lol:

Titanium dioxide can be considered a "natural" colorant depending on your definition of what is natural. It's a mineral but needs to be processed to produce the pigment. IMO, I consider it "natural" since all colorants have to be processed in some way and TD is found in the earth. Other people may define "natural" as only colorants from plants.

BTW, there isn't a legal definition for "natural" colorants. Natural is a buzz word for label appeal. You see the word "natural" on a label and think since it's natural, it must be good for me. It helps to sell products. Organic is another word that is used for label appeal and the word "chemical" has developed a negative connotation. Everything is a "chemical"; although this is a simplification. Sodium hydroxide is a chemical and certainly cannot be considered "natural" since it has to be manufactured.

Please excuse my cynicism but I've seen too much misinformation, propaganda and abuse generated by special interest groups to believe what I read or to trust words like "natural' and "organic" as signifying something is a better product. However, I can understand the desire to eliminate possibly unnecessary ingredients from whatever you make.

My most consistent and most well received soap (over 10 years) has 10% coconut oil and 45% lard and 45% oil. It is a hard bar and it lasts in the shower. I use that soap in my laundry soap recipe too.
The one thing I don't care for is an all vegetable oil bar because they melt so fast and get mushy in the shower. That's just my preference.

I wasn't trying to be a snob. I just want to be off chemicals; it is the #1 reason I started making soap.

Hey there smeetree, I don't think you are a snob. :)
I've heard about using titanium dioxide, but the reason I got into making soap is I wanted to get off all chemicals. So I've been using the natural colorants for now. I'm new to this and have only made 5 batches so far.

I'm with you on this. I bought a generic type of face lotion that was scent free. It was first in no way scent free. My eyes would get all red every day I used it and I couldn't figure out what was causing the problem. They had put zinc oxide in for coloring it white. As soon as I ran out, my eyes cleared up! So I make my own lotions too.

I wasn't trying to be a snob. I just want to be off chemicals; it is the #1 reason I started making soap.

You didn't sound snobbish at all. I apologize if I sounded like I was criticizing you because that wasn't my intention. I thought I was being informative but it came out wrong. I just wanted to explain about titanium dioxide which does sound like something which could be hazardous. I want to state again that I consider it natural but not everyone does. Many people don't consider colorants produced from minerals as a "natural" product and will only use botanicals/herbs.

Latest posts

Back