Is this herb useful?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyScrubs

Reaction score
I was reading the everything soap making book and they stated that saffron was a great herb to use for color and fragrance. But it should be used only for special soaps. Is this reasoning due to pricing? Is there any medicinal "spelling" properties of saffron?

x

www.fromnaturewithlove.com has calendula extract that is much more reasonable. i infuse my olive oil with that, filter then rtcp. it gives it a medium gold color-like dial soap-depending on how stron you mix it and how much oil you use.

i use 1/4 tsp ppo.

yeah I like using the calendula infusion in olive oil how ever I like to make a water based infusion for my dogs dry skin. It does wonders for his coat. :D

Yes saffron is hellaciously expensive... it goes for about $180 for an ounce of the stuff!! but it is true a little bit goes a long way, however i think its a little too expensive unless you have a market that will buy it (for instance i was just at the Atlantis in the bahamas and they had 6in pillar candles for $28!!...and 4oz bars of handmade soap for $11 each!!)
......or if you just wanted to create one to pamper yourself!

colour is good

It takes very little safron when boiled to make a good colour in soaps.
I have used it and find it mixes well with other types of blue colouring to make greens.
:lol:
But I do like to play with colours.
I got a tiny amount in packet at spice area in our IGA ,super Market.

Re: colour is good

starduster said:
It takes very little safron when boiled to make a good colour in soaps.

I got a tiny amount in packet at spice area in our IGA ,super Market.

Hi Starduster.

1. Good info. I wonder how hard it would be to grow safron?

2. How much did you get & for what price (approx)?

It's the stigma (I think) of one kind of saffron - you know, those tiny threads in the center of the flower where the pollen is? I thinkyou can grow it in the dry parts of california. but commercially I think they are grown either in China or the Middle East.

You need something like 150 flowers to get a gram of saffron threads so obviously it's quite expensive. And the threads are are hand picked out of the flower (there are only 3 threads per flower) so imagine the cost there...

It often costs about (based on memory) about $8 per gram of threads. You canget it for less if you get powdered instead ofthe threads it will almost positively be adulterated.

Ian, that was a really good link.

I love wikipedia.

They had info stating that safron DOES have medicinal power. It suppresses cancer & helps prevent mutations.

Latest posts

Back