Is this DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillipad

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve been making some small batches of tallow soap. Most of the soap looks completely fine but I did notice in my last batch some pink spots on the side the soaps were laid down on the newspaper. Wondering if this is DOS? What can I do to prevent this?

Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_4466.jpeg
    IMG_4466.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4466.jpeg
    IMG_4466.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I doubt it would be DOS after only a few days. It usually takes a lot longer to show. But if this is the same recipe you showed in another thread it is 100% tallow and has 8% superfat - and I would tend to reduce the amount of superfat if you are worried about DOS. Maybe down to 4%? Hopefully some other tallow users will chime in with their thoughts.

I doubt it would be DOS after only a few days. It usually takes a lot longer to show. But if this is the same recipe you showed in another thread it is 100% tallow and has 8% superfat - and I would tend to reduce the amount of superfat if you are worried about DOS. Maybe down to 4%? Hopefully some other tallow users will chime in with their thoughts.
Thank you!

My guess would be that some of the inks from the newspaper were absorbed into the soap.
That’s my running assumption as well as it’s only the sides that had contact with the newspaper that have resulted in the pink splotches. I’m now putting my future batches in parchment paper to see if that makes a difference!

DOS is caused by the fats/oils going rancid. To avoid, make sure that you use the freshest fats/oils available. And DOS has a very distinctive rancid odor. If you have it, you should have no doubt.

Latest posts

Back