Is this DOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity

Reaction score
DSCF2119.jpg

DSCF2118.jpg

I forgot to say they are scented with Lavender EO and they have some lavender petals in them. I don't know if that makes a difference or not but what do I do with them if it is ? Throw them away? Is is contagious to my other soaps (Quarantine ;)) Idk but its kind of freaking me out

no that is not DOS...... your discoloration comes from the botanical petals you use in your soap . some tend to turn brown . DOS mainly comes from soft oils you use that have short shelf life and may be rancid . when was you soap made / how old is it ?

Could be, on the corner of the lower right bar.
But what you are focusing on seems to be herbs turning brown.

Yes, that looks like it's starting to oxidize. Many soapers encounter that with lavender oil, especially if it's a high linoleic batch. You should definitely quarantine them and keep an eye on the rest of the batch.

These are about 3 months old.... I have them all in a bag. I have soaped again with all of the oils in this batch except the lavender and I haven't noticed any other problems yet :( I hope it was just the lavender or the buds and doesn't spread to the rest of my soap :(

Unfortunately, that looks like DOS to me. The corner in the first picture and also, the entire cut surface has a kind of brownish haze to it which suggests oxidation. Yes, botanicals like lavender can and do brown in CP soap but this is more than that.

I have seen lengthy discussions on another forum about the propensity of Lavender EO to DOS. This has never happened to me personally but I did get a lavender bar from a well-regarded soaper in a swap once and within a couple of months it had turned orange with oxidation.

In the future, it might be helpful to cure your soaps in an environment with more air circulation.

What was your recipe. Some soaping oils are more prone to DOS.

Keep them separated. You can use them. Once the surface area is worn off, they shouldn't be unpleasant to use.

Don't toss them. Consider this a learning experience and turn it into an experiment. I would....

Put them in their own place along with their paper work.
Scratch a circle around all the spots and discolored areas.
Take one bar and put it next to a bar without spots so they are touching to see if it spreads and how fast.
Go back at least once a week to check on them, taking notes and pictures of any changes.

I'm sure you can think of more things to test like maybe putting some in different environments. Hopefully this will be your only chance to study this so you might as well make the most of it. Then you can report back to us with the results and share all your new knowledge. Good luck and have fun, Sissy

I also suspect lavender contributes to DOS, and not just with soaps made with unsaturated fats.

I did a batch of lard and coconut oil soap with high superfat early this year. I divided the batch into halves at trace. One part was scented with peppermint EO, and the other was scented with lavender EO. I poured both halves into the same log mold with a center divider and CPOP'ed the mold. I cut, cured, and handled all of the bars in the same way.

The EOs are the ~only~ difference. The lavender bars have gotten uniform DOS and the peppermint bars have not. I didn't realize I was going to be doing an experiment on DOS, but the results from my unintentional experiment are striking.

Robert Tisserand reports that lavender EO oxidizes fairly quickly and some anecdotal reports of skin irritation from lavender may be from using lavender that is past its prime. The lavender I used in my soap was from a reputable source. It was about a year old, however, and I suspect that was the cause of the oxidation in the soap.

My conclusions are to be wary of lavender EO and also to remain wary of high superfat even when using saturated fats thought to be less prone to DOS.

What kind of mold did you use? My husband made me some new wooden molds out of pine, and the knots on the woods discolored the spots of the soap to yellowish through the wax paper.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

What kind of mold did you use? My husband made me some new wooden molds out of pine, and the knots on the woods discolored the spots of the soap to yellowish through the wax paper.

Try freezer paper instead of wax paper and you shouldn't have that problem again.

Thanks, I didn't even think it might be the wax paper. Will buy some freezer paper. :)

Due to space restrictions I have been storing my cured soaps in those under the bed storage containers. Someone had said to make sure it kind of air tight so you won't lose the scent. Is this the proper way to store after the cure or should I be doing something else? Could this have contributed to the DOS and should I be worried about the 50 or more soaps that were in there with them :(

Thank you so much for all your replies :)

I use baseball card collectors' boxes that I got on line. They are the perfect size for the standard 2.5x3.5x1 soap bars. They keep the scents segregated but are not air tight. Efficient with respect to space too.

Latest posts

Back