is this called overheated soap? how do i solve this??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickedter

Reaction score
Is this called overheated soap? how do i solve this ??
some people said i can't use heated oil and hot lye water.
but when i try using room temperature lye water. a soap become wet inside and dry surface.

4000g palm kernel
1200g water
658g lye

This one is from 40c oil and 70c lye.

But the latest one I made is by using room temperature oil and lye then soap become less cracked but wet inside.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
Can you explain exactly what your process is? I soap with my oils and lye at room temperature and have no problems. You may want to post your recipe as well and we can help troubleshoot with you. The photos you posted do look like maybe they overheated. Are they oily at all inside? They look really dry on top.

Can you explain exactly what your process is? I soap with my oils and lye at room temperature and have no problems. You may want to post your recipe as well and we can help troubleshoot with you. The photos you posted do look like maybe they overheated. Are they oily at all inside? They look really dry on top.
This one isn't oily inside maybe because I use 70c of lye but the latest one that I don't attach a photo is wet maybe because 40-50c of lye.
4000g palm kernel oil
1200 water
658g lye
This is my normal formula it used to work with many batches.

100% palm kernel oil will tend to trace quickly and heat up. A recipe that blends both hard and liquid fats will be easier to control and less likely to overheat.

Are you insulating? If so, you might want to leave your soap uncovered.

What about fragrance - some fragrances can cause acceleration and heating.

If it's wet inside, you might have gotten separation from false trace or overheating - is it just soft and oily or are there oozy pockets?

p.s. 70c lye sounds too hot to me unless you are using room temperature oils. I generally soap at 40-45 degrees C for both lye and oils.

100% palm kernel oil will tend to trace quickly and heat up. A recipe that blends both hard and liquid fats will be easier to control and less likely to overheat.

Are you insulating? If so, you might want to leave your soap uncovered.

What about fragrance - some fragrances can cause acceleration and heating.

If it's wet inside, you might have gotten separation from false trace or overheating - is it just soft and oily or are there oozy pockets?

p.s. 70c lye sounds too hot to me unless you are using room temperature oils. I generally soap at 40-45 degrees C for both lye and oils.

Thank you so much sir.
It's wet inside and a little bit soap not any oil leak from inside. Maybe I leave it in the air for a day it would be ok. and next time I will reduce some water. What do you think?

I don't cover my soap after blending.
Do you have an idea if I still have to use 100% palm kernel oil? Should I change a proportion out anything else?

100% palm kernel could be a problem too. When I use it, it seems to speed trace, so maybe it's contributing to the overheating/cracking.

From your questions, I am getting the feeling you are not using a lye calculator, but that you have a recipe that you are tweaking here and there. Am I correct?

Why are you making 100% palm kernel soap? People don't usually do that unless it's for a specific purpose. Are you making laundry soap, or do you want something that will suds-up in saltwater?

When my soap overheats and starts to crack, I gently stir and smooth it in the mold. I will stir and smooth it, then leave for a little while, then check the soap again in 10 minutes and maybe stir and smooth some more. I will also scoot the soap mold to a new spot on the counter and let the coolness of the counter draw out a bit of the heat. Some soapers will carry the soap outside if the weather is cool/cold, and some will put it in the freezer. I don't, b/c I just don't like to move raw soap that much. I live in fear of being tripped by a cat or dog and splatter 4 lbs of soap all over the carpet!

When you say 70% lye I'm not sure what you mean. 70% lye concentration is not going to be able to dissolve all the lye into the water. I am going to assume you mean something else but like I said I'm not sure what that is.

I agree that you could have experienced separation from the overheat. Let it sit a couple of days and see what happens. Then zap test it...

I also took it to mean 70 degrees C for the lye.

I ran the recipe through soapcalc and the SF was fine (more than 5%). I don't see any problem with the water amount the OP is using but I certainly wouldn't reduce it further as the OP suggested. Lindy's suggestion to increase the water amount, of course, will slow things down and make the soap more manageable.

I think the "wetness" is that slickness that can happen with overheating. If the OP reduces temperatures of lye and oils and increases the water to at least a 1:2 ratio of lye to water that would help. Personally, I'd try a 50/50 blend of OO and PKO for a more balanced, yet simple soap.

Latest posts

Back