Is there a chocolate soap recipe without ACTUAL choc in it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyKate

Reaction score
I want to make a chocolate and coffee soap, with cocoa in it and cocoa butter and other oils. but the recipes i have been finding have ACTUAL squares of chocolate in them. Something about this is kinda gross to me. yes, i know chocolate is cocoa butter + cocoa + sugar + milk. I guess its the sugar and milk that I'm leery of having in my soap.

If anyone knows of a recipe that would suit picky ole me, i'd love to know it. I was thinking also, maybe i could just plunge ahead and try a recipe that had cocoa butter in it and just dump in some cocoa in at trace? I'm thinking I'll put coffe with the lye water.

I'm not crazy about adding artificial fragrance oils to my soaps- at least just yet cos I'm a beginner and I've heard they can cause seizure and be tricky to work with- do you think just adding cocoa and the coffe as i have described will give much of an aroma? Or is it just gonna make the soap brown and not much else?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.

I don't really understand the concept of chocolate free chocolate soap but... you can use the cocoa powder if you want to. Mix it with your oils before you melt them.

A heaping teaspoon per lb should do the trick.

Are you wanting to add coffee grounds for scrubbing purposes or use brewed coffee in place of the lye water? I put my grounds in at trace.

Hello EmilyKate - I've made Mocha Soap before one time using chocolate squares and another time using the cocoa powder. The chocolate squares held their scent better than the cocoa powder however both lose their scent fairly quickly. I started out like you wanting to not use any added scents to have just the actual ingredients scenting the soap.

HTH

Here are a few recipes. Never tried them.

Cappucino Bar
© Clayton 31 oz. Coconut Oil
20 oz. Grapeseed Oil
21 oz. Olive Oil
8 oz. Palm Oil
40 oz. Safflower Oil
7 oz. Stearic Acid
32 oz. Water
18 oz. Lye
1/4 c. Cocoa Powder (non dutch process)
1/4 c Oat Flour/Ground Oatmeal
4 oz. Castor Oil
1-2 oz. Vitamin E
1/4 c Aloe Vera Juice
1 oz. Cappucino Fragrance

Mix Finishing Solution and let marinate overnight, so as to let the Castor Oil leach Cocoa Butter out of the Cocoa Powder, which also serves for coloration. Cappucino Brulee Fragrance works admirably, but other Coffee and Chocolate fragrance also work. Increase Cocoa Powder for darker color, decrease for lighter color.
When ready, pour lye into water & stir. Set aside.
Mix and Heat Oils to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. [Proportions were determined to get an optimal mix determined by Linear Programming Techniques. The mix results in the following:
Fluffy Lather Agents- 15.5%
Lauric Acid - 11.0%
Myristic Acid - 4.5%
Stable Lather Agents- 17.1%
Palmic Acid - 9.6%
Stearic Acid - 7.5%
Conditioning Agents- 59.4%
Oleic Acid - 23.4%
Linoleic Acid - 36.9%
Ricinic Acid (all properties)- 2.7%
Superfatting = 6-7%
]
Put Oil mixture into mixing container. Pour lye water in and stir vigorously to prevent siezing. Tracing will be immediate. When thick enough, add finishing solution. Pour into mold. This soap hardens faster than most. Cover. Cut after 2 Days. Cure for about a month.
This soap has a nice feel about it, and is hard to put down.

Chocolate Milk Bath

1 cup powdered milk
1/8 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1.Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
2.Run hot bath water.
3.As tub is filling, pour the amount of chocolate milk bath mix you wish into the tub.
4.Stir to dissolve.
5.~NOTE~I like a full tub of water, so I use the whole amount for one bath.

Chocolate Facial

1/2 cup cocoa powder
4 tablespoons heavy cream
3 teaspoons cottage cheese
3 teaspoons ripe avocados
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons oatmeal, powder

1.In a bowl, mix ingredients together.
2.Apply to face.
3.Leave on face for ten minutes.
4.When taking off the facial, try patting the face with a warm washcloth to dampen before removing.
5.Apply moisturizer.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wow everyone, thanks so much for the quick and detailed replies, and for the recipes!

My main concern with not wanting to add *actual* chocolate pieces is that if they have sugar and milk in them, I have heard that both those things could cause a rancidity problem or also overheating of the soap. Also I seem to have just picked up a prejudice somewheres against 'food' going in soap. which is not entirely logical because what after all is cocoa... or um, vegetable oil.

EmilyKate - don't be askeered of food in soap :D It's not so bad, I promise! I've soaped with buttermilk, coconut milk, avocado, carrot puree, red & green pepper puree, cucumber puree, tomato juice, goatsmilk, honey, wine, beer... It's all good, baby.

My third batch ever was a cocoa powder/baker's chocolate soap. I made it almost exactly 5 months ago, and there is no problem whatsoever with rancidity, nor do I expect any. The baker's chocolate caused no problems - it doesn't contain sugar or milk, anyway (it's pure chocolate).

I agree with Surf Girl - I've used Bakers Chocolate as well and the soap has stayed really nice - I still have a few pieces of it left. If you go with unsweetened there is absolutely no sugar whereas the Milk Chocolate would have. Bakers chocolate (from what I understand) is made using Cocoa Butter (or Shea Butter) and Cocoa Powder. I recommend using a lower SF with it because there is the butter used in the Baker's Chocolate....

Latest posts

Back