is kaolin clay safe for babies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaggedrande

Reaction score
hello I am going to make a baby castile soap, but I don't want it to be a super soft, mushy bar, so I was thinking kaolin clay may help with keeping it hard. what do you think??
here is my recipe I came up with

6% castor oil
5% cocoa butter
17% coconut oil
74% olive oil

using goats millk for liguid

and superfatting this at 7% :eh:

I think you would be better off using 90% OO and 10% castor, coco butter and coconut oil can sensitivity in some people and aren't ingredients I would use on a baby.

I made a batch of soap and it was so oily that I'm wondering if it will even harden, a Shea butter recipe, using 1.55 oz lavender EO, .40 oz peppermint EO. with Tbsp peppermint leaves and sprinkling of lavender buds....has OO and Coconut oil....have made this before, the thing I wonder about....the lye was cooled to under 90 degrees and the oils were just at about 100 degrees, on the cooler side....would the lye being cooler have caused this problem.....

Kaolin Clay will not usually hurt baby skin but like adults babies are all different with no "one size fits all" scenario. I always used it in the castille I made for my granddaughter when she was an infant and fighting itchy eczema. I also made a balm for her with kaolin and a small % of Lavender which seemed to soothe her skin. I also would forget the coconut oil. Coco butter should not be a problem but shea can be

Last edited:
I too would make 90% Olive and 10% Castor. It will cure out to be a really hard bar. Also, what you are making is a Bastille. Castille is 100% olive. Kaolin in a small amount would probably be nice but then as stated baby skin is pretty sensitive.

Does anyone else get dry skin from clay? I have rose clay and even a little in soap seems to dry me out really bad. I have a hard time understanding how a substance that absorbs oil can be good for sensitive skin.

Latest posts

Back