Is it worth adding FO if....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltwater Scented

Reaction score
After reading some notes here on how much better soap gets with age, I thought it would be neat to make a few batches for long term storage. One Castille batch, and maybe a few of my own concoctions with EDTA added to ensure DOS doesn't drop in to poop on my soap party.

I was thinking of breaking into them in 3 to 5 years.

Is there any point at all to putting any FO in them or will it all be dissipated by then? I like fruit scents and vanilla for the most part.

I have multiple batches curing that are unscented and they are among my favorites as I have quite sensitive skin. I lean towards citrus scents, but they don't seem to last the length of time I prefer to wait to use my soaps, especially EO's. It feels like a waste of money to me to put something in that is barely noticeable several months down the road. I am using some fragrance oils for some of the soaps that I am giving to family as they have made some requests for specific scents, but for my own personal use I will remain mostly unscented

I have a 5 yr bar of Mango Sorbet from Natures Garden and it smells good. Maybe a little lighter but not much. Salty Sea Air from soapsupplies.net will stick as will Egyptian Dragon from NG. So yes I would add in fragrance if you know of some long-lasting scents. Wrapping the soap bar when you store them helps.

I have a 5 yr bar of Mango Sorbet from Natures Garden and it smells good. Maybe a little lighter but not much. Salty Sea Air from soapsupplies.net will stick as will Egyptian Dragon from NG. So yes I would add in fragrance if you know of some long-lasting scents. Wrapping the soap bar when you store them helps.

My store bought commercial soap is mango. Big fan of that fruit. I'll add some for sure now.

Latest posts

Back