Is it possible to make a soap like this? If so, how?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a nice minimalistic soap and I thought the lettering being different coloured would be really clean and nice looking. Is it possible to create something like this? If it is, do you
have any advice on how it can be done?
soap.png

This is just a concept so I haven't tested anything yet, I'd rather see if more experienced soap makers
think it can be done before I invest in a bunch of product.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, you could get an individual cavity mold with a design embossed into it and fill the words or design with a separate color of soap. It would be easier to do with a mold that turns out a bar with the word raised on the surface, but it could be made to be flat if you used a mold that turned out a bar with cavities in place of the letters. Then you could fill those cavities on the top of the finished bars with your preferred color of soap (I would use MP) to achieve the look you're going for. It would take some hunting for the right mold (or custom manufacturing) but I think it's doable.

Sure, you could get an individual cavity mold with a design embossed into it and fill the words or design with a separate color of soap. It would be easier to do with a mold that turns out a bar with the word raised on the surface, but it could be made to be flat if you used a mold that turned out a bar with cavities in place of the letters. Then you could fill those cavities on the top of the finished bars with your preferred color of soap (I would use MP) to achieve the look you're going for. It would take some hunting for the right mold (or custom manufacturing) but I think it's doable.
Thanks!, I'll do some research into that and see what I can do.

I agree. The image looks like an artist's or CAD rendition of a melt and pour soap. Or possibly a milled soap, which isn't practical to make without specialized equipment. In either case, it would have to be made in individual molds.

The deep, intense color of the bar makes me wonder if the lather would also be dark blue and stain washcloths.

I agree. The image looks like an artist's or CAD rendition of a melt and pour soap. Or possibly a milled soap, which isn't practical to make without specialized equipment. In either case, it would have to be made in individual molds.

The deep, intense color of the bar makes me wonder if the lather would also be dark blue and stain washcloths.
It is, I created the concept in Photoshop, I don't want the color to stain anything so the colouration will most likely be quite different. My main concern is if it's actually possible to have different coloured lettering in comparison to the rest of the bar itself. But I think I found the answer (will be testing once I get a custom mould and more supplies). Thanks for the info about the color though! I'll adjust accordingly.

It is, I created the concept in Photoshop, I don't want the color to stain anything so the colouration will most likely be quite different. My main concern is if it's actually possible to have different coloured lettering in comparison to the rest of the bar itself. But I think I found the answer (will be testing once I get a custom mould and more supplies). Thanks for the info about the color though! I'll adjust accordingly.

You can do lots of intricate designs on top of soap:
lace mat soap.jpg
Custom molds are expensive. You might want to try making your own.

I'm not sure if this will help but, these soaps were made in a cavity mold by placing silicone shapes in the bottom of each cavity. The silicone shapes were made in clay molds ( I used wooden pieces I picked up at Michael's to make the molds). I poured the CP over the shapes. After unmolding I removed the silicone and filled the impression with M&P. It would be difficult in production, but I think there may be possibilities. Earlier, after reading another thread I tried using foam shapes cut with a silhouette machine: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/using-cricut-to-make-soap-molds.67441/
43973475772_c8bca107c0.jpg

I was just trying out the process, these soaps have been trimmed a bit but not fully cleaned up.
I hope that made some sense. :goodbye1:

There are also individual letter stamps, similar to the ones used to stamp serial numbers on machines, but made of plastic and rubber.

I'm wondering if it'll work by dipping the letter in mica and just pressing on the soap.

Let me see if I can find someone who has done it before......

ETA:
The stamps I mentioned are talked about here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soap-stamp-with-changeable-letters.40570/
And there's also pictures of soaps stamped this way. The only thing not mentioned here is getting a different color, but I'm sure mica will work, probably not as you envisioned it though, coz others use it with custom shaped soap stamps, like here: https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/using-mica-stamp-cold-process-soap/

ETA again lol:
I was talking about a similar process to this: http://soapdelinews.com/2016/01/diy-conversation-heart-soaps.html
They used M&P soap but I'm sure it'll work with CP, just need to get the timing right.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this will help but, these soaps were made in a cavity mold by placing silicone shapes in the bottom of each cavity. The silicone shapes were made in clay molds ( I used wooden pieces I picked up at Michael's to make the molds). I poured the CP over the shapes. After unmolding I removed the silicone and filled the impression with M&P. It would be difficult in production, but I think there may be possibilities. Earlier, after reading another thread I tried using foam shapes cut with a silhouette machine: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/using-cricut-to-make-soap-molds.67441/
43973475772_c8bca107c0.jpg

I was just trying out the process, these soaps have been trimmed a bit but not fully cleaned up.
I hope that made some sense. :goodbye1:
I bought some of these and a block fimo for this exact idea! I've held off but I'm so happy to see it works! Mine was to have just the impression on it and not fill with m&p and those are lovely.

You can use unmounted rubber letter stamps to put in the bottom of cavity molds to make whatever name you want.

Latest posts

Back